W. Tyzac, sons & Turner Ltd.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
Have done a quick search but didn't see anything :oops:

I picked up a hand saw recently at a boot sale, it's marked:-

W. Tyzac. sons & Turner Ltd. No.120

Just wondering how old it might be, it has a little paint on the handle and is blunt of course but looks like it might clean up quite well and make a good tenon saw when sharpened. I think it's a little big for a dovetail saw but of course I'm no expert on these things :oops:

Our expert on all things to do with saws has departed for pastures new but I seem to recollect that Tyzack saws are well thought of so with a bit of care and a decent sharpen and set you've probably picked up a good 'un - Rob

Thanks Rob, I think I know who you mean, I've not been on here much recently, is it likely she'll return :?: Or was there some bust up :?:

Losos wrote:
I think I know who you mean, I've not been on here much recently, is it likely she'll return
Without wishing to re-open old wounds, there was a difference of opinion over a couple of matters a while back with the result that the lady in question and others, who together made a very worthwhile and extremely knowledgable contribution to this forum no longer post here...their absence is personally regretted :( - Rob

I have a Tyzack tenon saw, too. It's 30 years old, and works perfectly for cutting dovetails as well as tenons.

Pam

Losos
Info I have for your sawmaker.

Tyzack Wm sons and Turner
Sheffield, 1867-1990

Quite a long time trading under that name so not much help with dating it. Do you have any photo's?
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Losos,

I have one of those saws which I picked up in a second-hand shop. They are very good saws, so if yours is in reasonable condition it was a good buy.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The fact that the mark is Wm Tyzack, Sons and Turner Ltd narrows the field down. Glass, Tools and Tyzacks says (at p176) that the partnership of Wm Tyzack, Sons and Turner (Turner was married to one of the sisters of William Tyzack) was incorporated as a private limited company in 1906.

I would just buy the saw - whatever its age, all the Tyzack stuff I have used has been really good quality! :)

Smudger":s97utyh7 said:
Weren't Tyzacks tool factors rather than makers - in their later years, at least? I think I've seen their ads somewhere.

Not really - the toolmaking side stayed oop North in the Sheffield and Newcastle area, but there was a retail side of the same family that operated a toll shop in London - first in Curtain Road and then in Old Street. That started in the early 1840s.

Thanks everyone for all the info.
Philly - the sad story of my new digital camera is, I bought it on my recent trip to UK, when I got home SWIMBO grabbed it and said "That'll be your Xmas pressie" so I can't send you a piccie 'till Boxing day :lol: :lol:
JMK89 Yes I did buy it, 3 quid i think, from all the above I think it'll be one of my better buys :D

Losos":c172gpwr said:
Have done a quick search but didn't see anything :oops:

I picked up a hand saw recently at a boot sale, it's marked:-

W. Tyzac. sons & Turner Ltd. No.120

Just wondering how old it might be, it has a little paint on the handle and is blunt of course but looks like it might clean up quite well and make a good tenon saw when sharpened. I think it's a little big for a dovetail saw but of course I'm no expert on these things :oops:

1970's I think.

I like mine.

tyzack120.JPG

BugBear

bugbear":37pon6v6 said:
1970's I think.
I like mine.
BugBear

Yes BB looks very similar, mine has three fixing points for the handle which is the same as yours at the bottom and a bit different at the top. Sorry can't remember the name of that funny little curly bit on top :oops:

Latest posts

Back