VW Transporter T5 lwb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my T4 with a newer van so I'm leaning towards a T5, the only thing is I've heard a lot of stories about the gearbox, clutch and dual mass flywheel going at around 100k.
Any of you guys driving T5's? Any problems? What's a good alternative other than a Hiace?

Wish I still had my T4, 64k miles on a T5 & bearing went in the gearbox, had to have the box stripped & sent away to recondition it. It was refitted with a new clutch & dual mass flywheel.
I was told the gear boxes aren't up to the job as they are a car gearboxes & to brake rather than slow down by going down the gears so as to not put stresses through the box.

Cheers Doug, the stories are true then...
The thought of shelling out 2 grand to get that done makes me feel sick

I know a couple of people who have reverted back to T4's after a short ownership of the T5 for exactly that gearbox/flywheel/clutch reason.

I know a few people with T5's including me and only one had the problem.

I've had my 09 one from New and before that I had a t4 . The T5 is probably the best van you can buy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We bought a pre-registered Vauxhall Vivaro back in October and think we'll be changing it sooner than initially planned. I can't comment on the mechanical side yet, though the general build quality is worse than our previous 03 Fiat Ducato, and that's saying something!

At the time it was a toss-up between the Vauxhall or the new Ford Transit Custom, however the £3000 difference in price swayed us.

Mark

I had a T4 for 3 years and apart from a broken rear spring (my fault) it was an excellent workhorse. I changed it for a Renault Trafic (read same as Nissan / Vauxhall) and though it had many more toys and gizmos it was like comparing an Audi with a Fiat.

My current "07 reg" T5 has served me very well for 3 years and once again sailed through its MOT last week. Apart from servicing and a couple of tyres, it hasn't cost me a penny in repairs. Gets pretty heavy use as a builders van and regularly pulls a fully loaded 2 tonne trailer.

It's the 174bhp 2.5 diesel LWB version with electrics pack. Mileage is 95k and I won't be swopping anytime soon, (unless I decide to retire this year).

I know 2 other local tradesmen with T5s both SWB and they haven't had any issues.

Bob

I wonder if the T4 has a dual-mass flywheel? They're a right pain, too. When they wear they rattle like hell. Had my Hyundai one changed under warranty. The revised part is no longer dual-mass, so not sure why they bothered in the first place.

Stu_2":2j9krmlk said:
I wonder if the T4 has a dual-mass flywheel?.

Yes it did, the reason I got rid of my T4 was that it along with the clutch & turbo needed renewing but after 240+k miles I thought I'd be better off with a new van :roll:

Just a note:

As far as gearboxes are concerned, the Renault / Vauxhall / Nissan are renouned for gearbox problems and My Trafic was replaced at 60k under warranty.

Bob

Lons":3fn6bwly said:
Just a note:

As far as gearboxes are concerned, the Renault / Vauxhall / Nissan are renouned for gearbox problems and My Trafic was replaced at 60k under warranty.

Bob

Unfortunately my Master needs a new box. It's just turned 117k and the box was apparently refurbed at 80k when the cam belt was done. I reckon it must have been done by a blindfolded chimpanzee :roll:

As funds are tight I'll pick up a 2nd hand box for £300 for now and re-build the original one myself as and when I can afford the parts. Parts alone are over £700 :shock:

Hello there
I have had my T5 for about 3 years, I love VW's cars and vans. I love my one it's an 07 swb in white and the miles are about 70 ish. Oil changes the odd tyre, I was and wax it like a car. I will be changing it this summer for the bigger crafter.

tbone":3vauq9zp said:
Hello there
I have had my T5 for about 3 years, I love VW's cars and vans. I love my one it's an 07 swb in white and the miles are about 70 ish. Oil changes the odd tyre, I was and wax it like a car. I will be changing it this summer for the bigger crafter.

Make sure you research the crafter I've heard lots of bad stories about them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back