virus protection question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just ditched my virus software (bullguard 7) it found fault in every bit of software I had and there were many conflicts and it really slowed my PC down.

I have installed AVG (free version) but see I do not have Firewall, is the windows firewall sufficient or is there a freebie for firewall on the web?

I have a spyware program already installed on the PC when supplied.

Zone alarm is the usual answer but i have just got vista and like a lot of soft ware its not happy so i am back to windows at the moment.

I use ZoneAlarm (free version) on our PC's here.. Been using it for a few years now, seems to do a good job :)

Sygate is another free one
I have used zone alarm in the past but prefer sygate which I always install on anyone's computer I work on
I also have ashampoo's firewall ( Not Installed or Tested yet)which is also free

If you access the outside world via a router (that's rooter not rowter) then you shouldn't need any more firewall than that.

I survived quite happily using the built in firewall in XP Service Pack 2 until it got replaced by a hardware firewall/router.

Nick W":3pujk9tx said:
If you access the outside world via a router (that's rooter not rowter) then you shouldn't need any more firewall than that.

Assuming one's router has a firewall, that it's half decent and it's kept up to date of course.

I'm happy with Zone Alarm and have used it for years. The first few days can be a bit annoying as it has to learn what programs can access the internet but after that , assuming you tell it to remember things like firefox, skype, avg etc, it runs in the background without any problems.

Steve

Have just upgraded (?) from Sygate to ZoneAlarm. Seems pretty good - so far. I think that the current firewall supplied with XP is ok'ish but suggest that you should look at one of the other offerings for a safer environment

Cheers :D
Tony

Never had any problem with Zone Alarm. It takes a while to load up but now it's got some 'self learning' features, after a few days it is virtually transparent and doesn't seem to slow down anything. Only thing is it automatically updates every day which in one way can be annoying when you're in a hurry to log on, but in another way very reassuring.

Around £30 to download the pukka version and annual re-license is £22.95 at present exchange rate. I bought the package cos it's load and forget - just let it get on and do it's stuff. Recommended.

Ike

devonwoody":1ndld7ra said:
Any loss of computer speed using zone alarm?
As Steve said it does take a little while to learn what programs to allow access to the net.

As to loss of speed - my current system (old PIII @ 700MHz) is a little slower to load now ZoneAlarm installed (vs Sygate). I am prepared to accept this slight overhead though for a more secure system ( I hope!).

I made the change due to the fact that Sygate taken over by Symantec and did not fancy purchasing the Norton product

Cheers :D
Tony

Back