violin repair advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi can anyone help with the repair of a violin that we bought and having only played once my daughter accidentally sat on it ,bringing the ebony off the neck and pulling the neck out of the body, also putting a 4" split in the front face.Is this repair best left to the pro's or can it be done with tlc and patience using the correct glues etc.
Any advice much appreciated
regards dave

Attachments

• P1000794.JPG
    P1000794.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 105
  • P1000793.JPG
    P1000793.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 105
  • P1000792.JPG
    P1000792.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 105
Hi Dave,

That's nasty :cry: I would get some advice from someone who knows about instruments first to find out if it's worth doing. Nearly anything can be got over but it would be a shame to waste your time and ruin the sound in the process.

If is worth saving I imagine it would be clean the breaks and use glue and camps working on one break at a time.

It can be repaired. Whether it's worth doing so is another matter. The top will have to come off. I'm afraid it isn't quite as simple as gluing everything back together again. The neck has a specific angle (in relation to the body). That has to be correct.
A Professional might charge £200 - £300 and that's just what I can see from the Photo's. It might make a good 'project' for someone learning Violin repair if it's not economically viable.

thanks for the quick replies,we have managed to get in touch with the dealer we bought it off,and he says to send it back and he will gladly repair it,
many thanks david

Back