Video about screw retaining screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
I am afraid it's a bit boring but as I mentioned a screw retaining screwdriver in a previous video, I thought I would do a quick one about the subject.
It's probably a bit boring for most but might entertain some given the mistakes shown, hopefully it might give a little amusement.

As with all my videos they are as taken with just the titles added so don't expect professional quality.

here is the link

https://youtu.be/_eCS54CWsWs

I have a red-handled one like the first one, but it's longer. Like yourself, I never bought it and have had it for nearly 40 years. A superb little tool for getting you out of the mire.

... and you have the same collection of screws as me too. :-D

I use a slim strip of paper. Push the screw through a hole in the strip, and hold it in place. The paper tears off when the screw is home.

If access is awkward I find torx headed screws are brilliant. Much less chance of cam out especially when you have the driver at an angle to the screw. I bought a selection from Axminster when on offer, and keep them for such 'special occasions'

K

Thanks Scrimper - I like your style of presentation much more than that other presenter you mentioned, even if he does have a fancy screwdriver! :)

Yet another option is these little spring clips, which can be used on almost any screwdriver.

screw_holders.jpg

I used to have a set of three but have lost the most useful small one, which would also fit on a standard hex bit when using a power screwdriver. They are marked Stanley, made in USA. I can see something very similar permanently attached to a FatMax screwdriver but don't know a source for the cheap, simple clips.

PS - I think you might have the wrong lid on that box of screws - they don't look as long as 1¾" to me - so might be even more useful.

Attachments

• screw_holders.jpg
    screw_holders.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 108
MikeG.":2i918wpz said:
I use a slim strip of paper. Push the screw through a hole in the strip, and hold it in place. The paper tears off when the screw is home.
That's a very good technique for small screws when access is easy. The screw holding drivers come into their own when access is horrible.

(see James May putting together a vintage telephone for examples)

BugBear

A few strokes often helps me......

Errm, I mean, with a large magnet... along the screwdriver.

Now, if I can find some damn ferrous-brass screws.

NazNomad":3iguryaj said:
A few strokes often helps me......

Errm, I mean, with a large magnet... along the screwdriver.

Now, if I can find some damn ferrous-brass screws.

All too common these days I'm afraid - rust-prone steel screws with a whisper of brass plating.

(We didn't all have an uncle at Lainchbury's to stock us up for life!)

bugbear":21p8hloh said:
MikeG.":21p8hloh said:
That's a very good technique for small screws when access is easy. ......

Erm........no.........if access is easy you don't need to do it. It is precisely for when access is difficult. If I can reach the hole with the tip of the screw plus the length of the screwdriver, then this technique works, and I've used it with 3" screws.

AndyT":aqsf8x4e said:
PS - I think you might have the wrong lid on that box of screws - they don't look as long as 1¾" to me - so might be even more useful.

Funnily enough whilst running through the video to put the titles on they looked shorter to me too. They are actually 1 3/4", though I agree they don't look that long in the video, it must be a trick of the lens.

Thanks for the kind comment about my presenting style though you might be 'having me on'! I just switch the camera on and jabber away whatever comes in to my head, I don't rehearse or write anything down and I leave all the *bad bits in, what you see is exactly what I film.

*To be honest I am amazed that people actually watch my video's they are very amateurish. but I now have 179 subscribers which is 175 more that I thought I would have!

In my video link above I mention Lainchburys of Kingham Oxfordshire, my previous video entitled "something different" covers rocket heads made at Lainchburys and does have some information about them if anyone is interested. :)

https://youtu.be/sdgOeit5ax0

MikeG.":3qbzkg7p said:
bugbear":3qbzkg7p said:
MikeG.":3qbzkg7p said:
That's a very good technique for small screws when access is easy. ......

Erm........no.........if access is easy you don't need to do it. It is precisely for when access is difficult. If I can reach the hole with the tip of the screw plus the length of the screwdriver, then this technique works, and I've used it with 3" screws.
You must be using a slightly different technique than the one I know - which is mainly for super short screws (or tacks) that are hard to hold in your fingers. You just stick the screw/tack through the paper (say a 1"x3" strip) hold the screwless end of the paper in your off hand, and hammer/driver away. When you're done, you just pull the paper, and it tears away. The paper sits flat on the surface for the whole operation.

Could you expand slightly on your technique?

BugBear

I just checked mine, it's also a QUICK-WEDGE No.1258 from Salt Lake City.

quick-wedge.jpg

I wonder if they would honour (honor?) the ''unconditionally guaranteed'' quote after 38 sumthin' years... Not that I need it, the driver works as well as the day it was made.

Edit, they are still made in Salt Lake City after all this time. Glad they didn't outsource to Chiawan or somewhere.

http://www.quickwedge.com

Back