Very Small Wood Lathe Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushpilot

Reaction score
Hi, new to so much here and really appreciating the information you provide so promptly.

I am getting together a number of small-scale power tools to help me make one or two bushcraft related products. I like the idea of making some small turned handles for flint and steel firelighting equipment (ferro rod). Any recommendations (avoids) for a small lathe?

Thanks.

First off, what’s the total budget? You will spend as much on extra equipment as the lathe, so it would be good to know a ball park figure.

what volume are you looking to make? what other products?

if it is only a few I would look at ways that you can avoid needing a lathe. For example, get it somewhere near with a spokeshave then spinning the wood in a cordless drill and using sandpaper to shape/smooth it.

You can turn small things on a big lathe, but you cant do the reverse, think future proof , as said above the tools and sharpening system can be as big, if not bigger investment than the lathe it self. My lathe will turn up to 5`9" diameter, and also does pens.

I have a little black and decker drill powered lathe which I brought out of curiosity... About as cheap £20 and as small as you can go!

Anyone used one or have any tips for using it!

Thought I might try egg cups etc!!

Cheers James

You can turn small things on a big lathe, but you cant do the reverse, think future proof , as said above the tools and sharpening system can be as big, if not bigger investment than the lathe it self. My lathe will turn up to 5`9" diameter, and also does pens.

you can fit a small lathe in a barn, but you cant fit a toolroom lathe in a 6x4 shed...

Look at the local ads for a woodturning group. Usually have their own lathes for members to use,
rather than expense of buying a few off uses? Likely you'll get the tuition too?

Most of the extremely small lathes have oddball spindle threads and might not use standard accessories so you would be better off going for a lathe that has a common spindle thread. these days that's usually one of 3/4" x 16tpi (which will be 1MT taper) or 1" x 8tpi (which will usually be 2MT taper).

Yes. My Poolewood 28 - 40 isn't massive, but is a fair lump -

DSCF0418.JPG

I have a little black and decker drill powered lathe which I brought out of curiosity... About as cheap £20 and as small as you can go!

Anyone used one or have any tips for using it!

Thought I might try egg cups etc!!

Cheers James
OK for small knobs, maybe light pulls etc. but I wouldn't like to try hollowing anything on one. Someone will doubtless prove me wrong. :)

Hi,

I've had a Record Power DML 24" lathe for many years and it's a little beauty running very sweetly indeed. Bought as a present to me from my lovely wife costing £200 new from Tabwell tools; it was a lot of money to us in the day and no sooner had we travelled to Bakewell and collected the lathe Record Power then dropped the DML price to £100. Typical of my luck but the lathe has proved its worth many times.

I also have a wonderful fully restored and upgraded Union Graduate but this would be far too expensive for a novice to play around with.

Kind regards, Colin.

Workshop_0006.JPG

My old but trusty DML24". Heavy and solid built to last.

Hi there...I have just bought an Axminster 355...ideal bench lathe...very stable and a great size. Will turn small up to 12”....I’m not disappointed ...

Back