Very hard steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
At the car boot this morning I bought a job lot engineering tools and stuff (nothing exciting).

Amongst it all are some small bright strips about 2.36mm thick looking like HSS. BUT they are so hard a grinder only just takes a tiny corner off - and that takes a quite while. I've tried three different wheels with much the same result.

I am fairly used to using HSS but this is much, much harder.

What can it be (does it have a name) and what's it for?

Edit: It's attracted by magnets and grinding sparks are small, few and red.

Thanks for all the input!

Spark testing, measuring, weighing and exercising my rusty arithmetic lead me to believe it's Tungsten Carbide.

The spark test and the weight (almost twice as heavy as HSS) agree with the info in those links.

Dunno what I'm going to do with it though :)

Dies it have a rusty surface? sounds like it could be a material we refer to as "hardock" in work, just a mild steel but heavy, and very hard. Used in high wear applications on ships like dredgers and quarry machinery.

No rust - looks just like HSS - but it's not.

Almost positive now that it's Tungsten Carbide

Spindle":lo38rl45 said:
Hi

Isn't tungsten carbide non magnetic?

Regards Mick

No, Tungsten carbide is made with roughly 6% cobalt. Cobalt is magnetic so you get a low magnetic property in TC. Tungsten on it's own is not magnetic. HTH :)

Carbide has very little magnetic attraction, you say the strips are bright? Tungsten carbide is a dull and dark grey colour, it's more likely cobalt.

Back