Veritas MK 11

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpolish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all could somebody please give me a few pointers. Just bought a new MK11 all went well honing then went to put micro bevel on and angle seemed to change I went from 12 - 6. When I say the angle change I mean it was not square with the main bevel.Also when you have done the main bevel should you just give it a few strokes for the micro. I think I over done it a bit.

Thanks Phil.

If you use oilstones etc. are they flat (not concave)? If so, the only thing that I can think of is you may have knocked the blade out of square when you moved the brass knob 180 degrees to hone the secondary bevel. Give it another go after re-setting with the registration jig. I always make the secondary bevel roughly 2mm (1/16" in old money) deep as this is usually when I can feel the burr on the underside but I'm sure others will do it differently....

Thanks Pete no i was using wet and dry on plate glass. Bevel was way off to start only had 240 need to get something coarser cant seem to find any maybe a bit of fine emery cloth if i can find some. So you said you go for 2mm if you kept going would it carry on all the way up the bevel?

Thanks Phil.

What are you trying to sharpen - if it's chisels then it could be that it was not held flat i.e. too much pressure on one side of the clamp?
Also possibly too much finger pressure on one side?

The cam action is supposed to be sufficient to provide the micro bevel or are you talking about a secondary bevel?

Alf did a write up a while back:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=58083

Rod

Phil
Make sure the iron is secured properly in the clamps - you must make sure they are tightened evenly or the iron can move, giving the result you had.
If you look at the top of the iron from the rear of the guide as you tighten it you can see how even it is.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

philpolish":2jeli0z7 said:
Thanks Pete no i was using wet and dry on plate glass. Bevel was way off to start only had 240 need to get something coarser cant seem to find any maybe a bit of fine emery cloth if i can find some. So you said you go for 2mm if you kept going would it carry on all the way up the bevel?

Thanks Phil.

If you carried on sharpening the item your secondary bevel would become your primary one (as far as I'm aware secondary and micro bevel meant the same thing but I'm relatively new to this so I'm probably wrong!).

And as Philly and Harbo pointed out, the item needs to be clamped with equal pressure on both sides.

Latest posts

Back