Veritas LA block with Tote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
When the special offer on the Veritas LA block was running at Axminster recently I picked one up, along with the tote and front knob.

4129332188_492296a1ff.jpg

I am absolutely delighted with the role this little plane is now filling for me. Its bevel up configuration gives it an adjustable EP, meaning it acts as a tiny smoother for difficult areas, with the short length making shavings possible in isolated areas.

The light weight of the plane means it is very easy to handle - I recently used it to trim the box joints on my toolbox. The advantage over a block plane is that the grip is as a normal plane, but with the weight and size advantages of the block. I've also made a space for it in my travelling toolbox as I think it would be a very handy plane to have on jobs out and about.

A few years ago I was fairly sold on David Charlesworths idea that you can do most things with a 5 1/2, but having spent some time with a smaller plane I realise that it makes the work far easier in a lot of circumstances. If you have a Veritas LA block, I recommend giving the tote a try - it makes an entirely new plane in my view.

Ed

Couldn't agree more.

I bought one of those at one of Ax's price reductions about a year ago and I find it's a great little finishing tool, despite my previous convictions that anything smaller than a No: 4 was a waste of time.

The addition of the optional toothed blade gives another dimension for dealing with cantankerous grain pattern in odd corners. It's really small enough to deal with these little areas.

My only small gripe, if that's the correct term, is that the handle is designed for big Canadians and a bit on the large side for my smaller mitts..... but it's not a big problem.

This is a great combination and I keep the handle on all the time. I have block planes for other block-plane jobs - this is a lovely little finishing tool, and is racked along with the 60 degree Mujingfangs that I have.

I have to add that Veritas turn out some great tools in my view, enhanced by Robin Lee's personal touch from time to time.

Argus":6rp3xr3n said:
My only small gripe, if that's the correct term, is that the handle is designed for big Canadians and a bit on the large side for my smaller mitts..... but it's not a big problem.
There is a small size rear handle which even freaky hands here finds okay (or just take a rasp etc to the one you have)

Ed,

I also have my LA block plane set-up like that, and jolly handy it is to.

I think it is the same size as a number 3 plane? I am sure one the plane buffs around these here parts will confirm or otherwise.

Cheers, Tony

PS...I think I may have sorted out my secret santa build issues, as discussed. :wink:

Escudo":24mln8ka said:
I think it is the same size as a number 3 plane?

People often compare the Veritas low angle block plane, with the addition of the handle and knob, to a #3. I have both the LA block and a Clifton #3 and, while they are both superb planes, I think they are quite different - I wouldn't be without my #3

Endgrain3.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul - the disadvantage of your No.3 is that you are stuck at 45 degrees (unless you want to enter the world of back bevels) whereas with a bevel up configuration you can make the LA Block into a high angle plane to suit the circumstances. That, in my view, is a massive benefit over a bevel down plane.

Ed

woodbloke":2swgt137 said:
I thought that a knob was supplied rather than a proper handle? - Rob

What you mean at the back? if you do mean that, then you can get both and as Alf says two sizes of tote.

Ed

EdSutton":39c4tpi8 said:
woodbloke":39c4tpi8 said:
I thought that a knob was supplied rather than a proper handle? - Rob

What you mean at the back? if you do mean that, then you can get both and as Alf says two sizes of tote.

Ed
Yup, at the back. I've only seen them with the knob thingie at back wich I didn't fancy...the proper handle looks much better - Rob

woodbloke":3fqfq3w8 said:
Yup, at the back. I've only seen them with the knob thingie at back wich I didn't fancy...the proper handle looks much better - Rob

The thing seems to be a typical LV tote unfortunately. This is the one thing I dislike about Veritas planes. I only find them comfortable to use on a very high bench when my forearm is more in line with the plane of the sole.

waterhead37":2hl9pj2v said:
woodbloke":2hl9pj2v said:

The thing seems to be a typical LV tote unfortunately. This is the one thing I dislike about Veritas planes. I only find them comfortable to use on a very high bench when my forearm is more in line with the plane of the sole.

It is basically as the other LV totes, the only difference is it leans forward a bit more, which generates more pressure down onto the plane sole. I find the LV totes are an acquired taste, which took me a while to appreciate, but I'm OK with them now.

Ed

Latest posts

Back