Veneering & Box-Making Books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some recommendations of books, or DVD /websites for info on Box-Making and for info on Veneering.
Pretty much from beginner level, have done a fair amount of turning but not any cabinet work or veneering.

Just something I'm interested in looking into and thought a nice book might be an ideal starter!

Cheers PHIL

Hi Phil,

In terms of books I would recommend: -

Making Heirloom Boxes - Peter Lloyd. Peter makes solid wood boxes and the book will give you step by step instructions.
Fine Decorative Boxes - Andrew Crawford. Andrew makes mainly veneered boxes and again the book gives you instructions for a variety of boxes. (I also had a couple of days training with Andrew several years ago and can recommend his training).

Other books with instructions (but not as good in my opinion): -

Basic Boxmaking - Doug Stowe
Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making - Doug Stowe
Box Making Basics - David M Freedman

In terms of a "coffee table" book for inspiration (but no instructions): -
Celebrating Boxes - Peter Lloyd & Andrew Crawford.

Websites: -

www.finehardwoodboxes.com
www.fine-boxes.com
www.hawthornecrafts.com

Jensmith":2bho7xwf said:
I watched a pretty good series of videos on Get Woodworking. You need to be a subscriber to view all of them but I think you could access the first few for free.

There were both - box making series and a veneering series. Think there were also some advanced technique videos.

Box making Part 1
http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/arti ... art-1/6045

Basic Veneering Part 1
http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/arti ... art-1/7928

If you can only watch a few of those vids via their website? Try following my link as it is the same ones but on youtube and i think it is the full set ;)

I'll second the Peter Lloyd book. Watched him demo once and then bought the book. Some useful techniques and different ways to do things plus he makes plenty different styles of box for inspiration

worth researching hammer veneering. I have only done a bit of it, but found it relatively straight forward on box sized components from my first attempt. Make your own veneer hammer rather than buy one, cheap iron from argos and some form of glue pos and away you go. You can make your own glue pot, or search ebay/old tool dealers.

Back