Veneer edgebanding advice required.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, thought I'd plunder the font of all knowledge (Wood wise at least). :wink:

I have a project coming up when I get my Sun Room finished. It is building an AV and CD / DVD storage units on runners in the dead space below the stairs.

It is by coincidence directly under my wall mounted flat screen TV. Couldn't be more ideal.

The AV unit is to be fairly basic. Carcase with adjustable shelves mounted on full extension heavy duty runners. The CD/DVD unit is to be the same but when retracted into the wall will leave a flush wooden panel that will open with a push to release latch.

I have bought 2 sheets of cherry veneered MDF for the build. I wouldn't normally use the dreaded MDF :oops: but opted for it based on the stability of the for a tall thin cabinet approx 1.2m x 1.2m x 0.3m

Main question is should I try to get 3-4mm cherry to edge the shelves and carcase or would veneer edging tape be the way to go?

If tape would be advisable do you experts have any preference between unfinished pre glued applied with the wife's iron when she's at work or the fleece backed unglued stuff (contact adhesive???)

I'll post a few pics when I get round to it. 5m x 5m Sun room built and almost ready for decorating now so that's taken months and SWMBO would have a hairy fit if I started something else before it's finished. :evil:

If the unit is not going to get a lot of abuse then iron on edging will be more than adequate. I use the pre-glued iron on type and a household iron. The problem with solid lipping is getting a good colour match, and if you don't have the facility to machine it yourself it could work out expensive.

Jason

I'm no expert just a novice. I would personally go for iron on edging, as its very quick and easy. Much easier than messing about with contact adhesive.

I don't see using 3-4mm cherry as any advantage. If you want to put a lip on do it 10-15mm then you can rout a profile if you want.

I'm sure more of the knowledgeable users will be able to give you a better idea. :wink:

Thanks Jason, that kind of summed up my thoughts. I haven't built the shed for the his 'n' hers motor bikes to clear enough space for the TS, P/T and extractor yet.

God knows how much it would cost for me to get lipping milled from cherry and delivered to the "wilds" of mainland Scotland. :twisted:

As for abuse, I don't expect them to be touched much to be honest. DVD's are usually watched once then filed and now I've set up a music streaming network, the CD's are ripped to a computer file then filed as they are instantly accessible at the touch of a button. :lol:

The reason for cherry is to match fairly closely my floor standing speakers. And the reason for recessing the units into the dead space is we both like the clean lines minimalist approach. Well apart from the inevitable Tat that women find essential. :roll:

I have metal adjustable shelf runners that I will recess with the router and the carcases were to be Housing joints or Biscuits. Would that suffice?

I'd do a sketchup drawing but need to spend some time getting up to speed.

Sean thanks and I was leaning towards the iron on stuff I just wondered if there was some reason that the unglued stuff was better. I take it the unglued stuff is used in an edge banding machine?

Back