Varnish Smell Wooden Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwade

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a large wooden box with lid for the kitchen to put our shoes and bags in.
It's my first project and has been a great learning curve.

I finished the unit yesterday inside and out with clear varnish. I put the box in the kitchen this evening, and when I opened the lid the varnish smell was so overpowering I have ended up putting it in the shed with the lid off overnight.

Any tips on how long it takes for the smell to go away? I'm wondering if I should have varnished it inside at all now and whether that small might rub off to the contents.

Your tips, help would be greatly appreciated. I will put a couple of photos up when I can the photos off my phone.

of no help now, but it is usually recommended not to varnish or oil the inside of drawers or boxes, for this reason. hopefully it will go as the varnish fully cures.

If I were you I would bring it back into the house and put it somewhere warm and dry. That should help the varnish cure completely. Although it's mild for December the air will be much moister in your shed than in the house.

wwade":1efv4uzy said:
Any tips on how long it takes for the smell to go away?
Unfortunately that's a "How long is a piece of string?" It takes as long as your individual conditions dictate: so varnish type (some are far smellier than others!), any dilution, temperature and humidity and air flow all play a part.

wwade":1efv4uzy said:
I'm wondering if I should have varnished it inside at all now
This is one reason why many prefer not to finish the insides of boxes as the enclosed space can retain a varnish smell for a very long time. Fully cured, a varnish will have no odour to speak of (very slight if you put your nose right up to it) but inside a box this can build up and become more evident. It's not the pong of fresh varnish, a lot of that is the white spirit evaporating, but you can still get that 'finish smell' for quite a while.

Dry the box, open, in a warm spot with good ventilation. That'll give you the fastest cure.

The insides of boxes don't need finish, but if you'd prefer them not to be just bare wood I think a quick wipe of shellac sanding sealer is a great way to go.

ED65":1f4jq858 said:
wwade":1f4jq858 said:
Any tips on how long it takes for the smell to go away?
Unfortunately that's a "How long is a piece of string?" It takes as long as your individual conditions dictate: so varnish type (some are far smellier than others!), any dilution, temperature and humidity and air flow all play a part.

wwade":1f4jq858 said:
I'm wondering if I should have varnished it inside at all now
This is one reason why many prefer not to finish the insides of boxes as the enclosed space can retain a varnish smell for a very long time. Fully cured, a varnish will have no odour to speak of (very slight if you put your nose right up to it) but inside a box this can build up and become more evident. It's not the pong of fresh varnish, a lot of that is the white spirit evaporating, but you can still get that 'finish smell' for quite a while.

Dry the box, open, in a warm spot with good ventilation. That'll give you the fastest cure.

The insides of boxes don't need finish, but if you'd prefer them not to be just bare wood I think a quick wipe of shellac sanding sealer is a great way to go.

Do you think if I sanded down or even removed the varnish completely from inside the box that would improve the situation. There is only one coat of varnish on the inside, it would be quicker than waiting for the smell to disapear.

Funny thing is my wife said to me don't varnish the inside the box, it will be fine, but in my own mind not varnishing would have made it feel incomplete.

She has asked for another box for the Toys, next time I will make sure not to varnish the inside or try shellac sanding sealer like you suggested.

It's difficult to sand inside surfaces effectively. If you do want to remove the varnish I think the only good way is scraping, and it's still a PITA getting into corners properly.

When I used Tru-oil to finish a chest of drawers, it gave me just the finish I wanted, but remained smelly for a couple of months, well after the surface was fully hard. It's fine now, but I was a bit worried that the smell would never go. I think you just need patience, and a cardboard box to use for now.

As others have said, the varnish smell can take a long time to dissipate. A solution I've used over the years to alleviate this for clients who have done something similar, or acquired a piece of furniture finished this way, is to apply a coat or two of shellac over the varnish, after a bit of light sanding to provide a key - this assumes the varnish or oil finish isn't heavily contaminated with grease, oil, or other contaminants. It works pretty well, although you need to leave the cabinet or box open for a few days for the shellac smell to diminish. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":2lwlthyo said:
As others have said, the varnish smell can take a long time to dissipate. A solution I've used over the years to alleviate this for clients who have done something similar, or acquired a piece of furniture finished this way, is to apply a coat or two of shellac over the varnish, after a bit of light sanding to provide a key - this assumes the varnish or oil finish isn't heavily contaminated with grease, oil, or other contaminants. It works pretty well, although you need to leave the cabinet or box open for a few days for the shellac smell to diminish. Slainte.

Will give this a go. Thank you for the tip.

Back