Value of Spalted Beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
A beech tree fell near me and I got permission from the farmer to saw it up for logs. I've now found that the main timber is spalted. The trunk is 24 to 30 in diameter. Is it this timber of any value or should I just go ahead and process it for logs ?

Rob

IMHO spalted Beech is a lovely timber. If you have got the means to plank it, then I certainly would.
If you can get a few wide boards out of it, I am sure you will have no problem selling them (i would be interested), that is if you do not want them yourself.

Cheers

Mike

Something like this

Picture075Small.jpg

Dom

Hi Brian - spalting is a discolouration of timber,caused by fungal infestation in damp conditions,something like this

Here's a spalted beech platter I made recently
Picture073Small-1.jpg

to give you some idea of how it differs from plain beech.I've also had spalted sycamore,elm,and silver birch.

Andrew

P.S. - the picture Dom posted was one of mine as well :lol:

Well Rob

It seems the consensus on here is to use it or sell it on, as it clearly has value.

And thanks guys for the lesson on spalted beech, now I understand this I can see why such wood is popular with turners.

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back