Valentines Day gift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share this I made for my wife for Valentines day. It's a little ring box with hidden compartment.

Walnut with an oak middle bit. (I'd appreciate knowing what to call that bit!)

*EDIT*

It's about 2"x3.1/2"

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

I learnt how to use jam chucks this weekend. I had 3 separate ones on the go when I was finishing, this way I was able to quickly switch between them when applying, then buffing the oil. This really cut down on my down time time!

:D

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 686
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 686
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 686
Knowing that you have not been turning long you have done a good job on the box. You will soon end up with quite a few jam chucks, I never throw them away after use as many can be remounted and used again even if it needs to be reshaped and then only when they are to small to be of use will I throw them away. That way you don't have to keep using other wood stock

Cheers Dalboy!

Looking at the middle bit, I may put it back in the jam chuck and shape the top bit again to make it more slender and more interesting.

The trouble I'm finding with finishing is that at the moment I'm not very creative with beads etc, so I look at my work and it's starting to look too chunky - a bit 'fisher price' if I'm being honest!

Stiggy":3sipt8n0 said:
Cheers Dalboy!

Looking at the middle bit, I may put it back in the jam chuck and shape the top bit again to make it more slender and more interesting.

The trouble I'm finding with finishing is that at the moment I'm not very creative with beads etc, so I look at my work and it's starting to look too chunky - a bit 'fisher price' if I'm being honest!

It may look chunkie and not always to your own liking so look at every piece as a learning curve. I am sure who ever you give it too will be pleased as it is something you have made from them.
Shapes and wood matches will come in time. It is better to learn how to use the tools and at the same time make something useful

Latest posts

Back