Using your Tormek bits on a High Speed Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Following a conversation with Jimi I thought I'd post these pics in a separate thread - hopefully they will be of use to someone.
Recently Tormek have been advertising a kit to allow you to use the tormek guides on your highspeed grinder. And, needing a second guide for my grinder I was tempted to get one (especially as my Tormek sits around un-used). But, being lazy, I thought I'd have a go at making one myself.
So, after bashing a couple of pieces of wood around and drilling a couple of holes, we end up with this.....
torm1.jpg

torm2.jpg

I used metal threaded inserts from Screwfix (M6) and a couple of Philly Planes brass knobs to lock the arm in position. And in practise it works great! All the usual jigs fit and you can use the angle finder jig to set it exactly where you want it.

Hope this helps - if anyone needs any more details just ask.
Cheers
Philly :D

Interesting Philly...I'm not sure I'd use it 'cos I do all my primary grinding on the Tormek, but a very neat idea - Rob

Excellent, Phil 8)

I'm afraid I don't get on with high-speed grinders and the Tormek T7 I bought recently is the dog's whatsits 8) But if you like high-speed grinders, then using the Tormek accessories with it is a great idea.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman said:
Excellent, Phil 8)

I'm afraid I don't get on with high-speed grinders and the Tormek T7 I bought recently is the dog's whatsits 8) But if you like high-speed grinders, then using the Tormek accessories with it is a great idea.

Paul

Paul - I agree, but I recently bought a job lot of good gouges very cheaply that had very odd grinds and using the Tormek to sort them out would really not have been sensible. Using the Tormek jigs on the high speed stone was really very quick in getting the outline shape back again, and then it was just a touch up on the 'expensive' Tormek stone.

The Tormek jig set is BGM-100

http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/index.php

This web page contains a link to their .pdf file that gives the dimensions they recommend for mounting the Universal Bar.

I was interested that you succeeded in using a wood support as I reckoned I woudn't be able to drill it accurately enough and opted to fabricate the support out of suitable Al tube glued on with the Universal Bar in position.

Rob

Hi Philly

You are s-l-o-w mate! :)

I posted a "review" of this last year.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/GrindingNirvana.html

The option of switching between the Tormek and a 8" dry grinder is really terrific. For example, last weekend I needed to grind a blade made of CPM 3V. I was able to hollow grind about 95% on the dry grinder, then finish off to the edge on the Tormek.

GrindingNirvana_html_85f29ea.jpg

The whole magilla ...

SharpeningCentre6.jpg

Another use for the Tormek grinder set up is in making dovetail chisels (that is making, not sharpening) ...

Article here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel.html

Blades-hollowground1.jpg

Chiselset1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great idea using the Veritas small blade holder when grinding the sides of chisels - I have several to do, so will pinch that one. Thanks, Derek.

Paul

Derek
Arghhhh.....should have known you would have beaten me to it :lol:
I need to spend less time in the workshop and more time on-line :wink:
Cheers

Philly your set up looks much better than the kit tormek are offering. Regretably we bought the tormek kit, ended up not using it as it was so pants. Should have gone with your idea ! :wink:

Simon

Edit- might have been a creusen kit come to think :oops: waffle waffle

Thanks for bringing this up again Phil....and Derek for pointing me again to you setup.

I will be whittling something like these this weekend...if I get a chance.

Phil...are you going to reharden that blade on the left?

Seems to be a tad blued..... :D

Jim

jimi43":1rbo34fk said:
Philly":1rbo34fk said:
Jim
Its a new iron and I'm putting on its initial bevel before hardening.
Cheers

Phew! I was thinking we were sending an amateur out to the colonies for a moment there!

:D :D :D :D :wink:

Jim

Ha! Bravo :lol:

coleysbiscuit":s93jyp43 said:
Philly your set up looks much better than the kit tormek are offering. Regretably we bought the tormek kit, ended up not using it as it was so pants. Should have gone with your idea ! :wink:

Simon

Edit- might have been a creusen kit come to think :oops: waffle waffle

If it was the Tormek why was it so bad and would you pass it on for a consideration? :)

Miles

Just thought I would post a small update as I tinker with a cross between the excellent examples shown by Phil and Derek of their takes on the grinding jig for high speed grinders....

After buying the standard Tormek rest from Allen I decided to fiddle with the mount for it....so that I can use it as a course and fine adjustable rest and think on how I could clamp chisels and plane irons...

This is what I have so far:

DSC_0049.JPG

Firstly I mounted the Creusen on an old computer table with secure bolts and rubber washers between the base of the grinder and the table to reduce vibration.....

Then, using offcuts from a hotel installation of bathroom panels made out of MDF (yes that goddam awful stuff)...I built a frame for the slide rod...the holes being reamed out so that the rod just fits in a tight friction fit...

The Tormek table fits on the bar and clamps into place.

DSC_0050.JPG

I tend to collect dial gauge stands at bootfairs...this very sophisticated one cost me a quid and as you can see, will fit under the table and can be adjusted up and down using the coarse knob and very finely adjusted using the base sprung screw.

For chisels I found a use for the old honing jig (pre-Veritas) which has the advantage of being able to hold chisels very square.

DSC_0051.JPG

At the moment I am able to rest this on the top edge of the Tormek table...and this allows me to slide it back and forth on the large fine grit wheel....

DSC_0052.JPG

This was an old Sorby mortice chisel I got yesterday which was very badly ground at the bevel...so this was a classic test.

DSC_0048.JPG

I need to align everything so this was a very crude test but I was very pleased with the result...

DSC_0041.JPG

Ok the Veritas is dung as aligning for honing and I will do that again...but the sharpness was perfect...I cut a mortice with no problems at all and this is indeed a very fine chisel!

Now I need to fit screw clamps to fit and adjust the frame and also be able to swing it around to line up with the course stone....

Later...

Jim

Thanks Phil - I had cause to regrind the angle of a skew chisel yesterday and after getting it approximately right on the high speed grinder (i.e only took 15mins on the tormek) I vowed to make almost exactly what you did, using the same inserts (not done it yet, but I knew I should have just searched the forum rather than reinvent the wheel).

Dave

Well Phil....

I think I will need to set lateral movement of the whole jig with some sort of fine screw (as in the Tormek jig).

This old Marples "Hibernia" was wide enough to set the alignment and has taken on a new lease of life

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

I have nearly got the alignment right...boy is it delicate...

DSC_0065.JPG
[/img]

...but I can now achieve total control and repeatability....

DSC_0073.JPG

....nice clean bevel and really easy to hone....I could shave bristle let alone hairs with this edge....

Thanks for all your help and yours too Derek...

You don't know you have lived until you get one of these Creusen grinders with a fine jig!

Jim

Back