Using Sheet material in limited space , knock down trestle and sheet support

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Brazier

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Having read a few posts about cutting /using sheet material in limited space

I Saw this on YouTube this morning and thought it may be of Interest to some members

Quite like this quirky you tuber

The 2nd video is how to make the trestles and grid frame

Good idea but like many members with a small workshop not very practical for inside my shop, I would however build one for outdoor use as it’s a lot simpler than my current set up which can take upto 60 mins to set up ,

It seems to be a good table but I am not sure if it is better than buying trestles to put timber on.

I assume that the timber will work out cheaper than buying a metal trestle. Then you have to decide how much your time is worth making the trestles, maybe nothing, maybe min wage because you would prefer to spend your time making stuff with the sheets that you need to cut.

I would assume that these set up would be heavier than metal which has its own pros and cons.

Whilst these break down into flat parts would metal trestles pack down smaller. This certainly is important in a small workshop.

The carrying device is good if you need to move sheets but if you have a concrete surface why not put the sheet on wheels!

I saw this a few weeks ago, it's a great idea, but I think it still requires a lot of space. Working out of a single garage, I find a circular/track saw + sheet of insulation the best combination. I know some people don't want to get down on their knees, but I feel safer knowing the sheet is already low down.

Not practical. If you operate in a compact shop as I do (perhaps 12ft x 11ft) the saw and assembly bench are sacrosanct so I couldn't get something like that in. I have a simpler solution. Once my cutting list is done and my materials all cut, I place a large MDF sheet over my saw bench (blade wound fully down and blade gaurd removed) and use that as a handy additional assembly bench. It locates simply by having stop battens on the underside and can be clamped to safely.

You have a seasonal problem like many of us working in small spaces. In summer just get the tressles out and away you go but in the winter months not so easy so what I do is get my supplier to cut a full sheet into two one way or the other to suit my needs, handling a half sheet is much easier and the tracksaw can finish it to size.

I do the same. Have my sheets quarter or half cut but it's the assembly space that is premium for me rather than the cutting space. I rarely need anything longer than 1.2m and carry a stock of at least a few dozen quarter sheets (1.2 x 0.6m).

Back