Using pallets to move tools 900 miles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to move my workshop contents from UK to Italy and feel the need for some advice.

The moving company has been a PITA and about as unco-operative as it can get so we have cancelled their contract.

I have been talking to another shipper who believes we can get everything in two 40ft containers on pallets two high so 64 pallets to a container.

I've worked out how to get my major machines dismantled and palletised on doubles and singles.

The real problem is a lot of hand tools and small power tools.

The idea is to attach 2x3 legs to each inside edge of the pallet, create a box by screwing 12mm OSB panels to the 4 legs and if needed place a top ring of 2x3s to stiffen the top and make a lid...got to keep the theiving barstewards hands out of the goodies. Also an OSB floor.

I've got a pallet jack which will lift 3ft 6inches so stacking should be OK.

What do you all think.

Al

Sounds like a plan. I can't see any problems. I agree about the top ring...I think it would be needed.

One question, any chance someone might be tempted to stand on the top of one of these? Strong enough?

The one question I do have is whether you need to go to all that trouble if the pallets are loaded up, back to back into the container. Could you not put the hand tool ones in first so that they are right at the back of the container and so not easily get-attable?

Hi Al,
I bought and moved my machinery more in a piecemeal manner. Usually loaded up on my 2 ton trailer. You have a much larger task there. I don't envy you.
Thinking logically I would try to load all your small tools in your constructed boxes first. This will be harder for the barstewards to get them out. :p They will probably be lighter so should help when the container gets dragged onto the truck. Make sure your machinery is very very well secured to the pallets .A lot of the cast iron stuff tends to be top heavy so strap on the pallet as well. If removing tables ir planer or spindle make sure is laid flat side down on dry pallet( maybe use as first layer with a blanket of your OSB boxes for smaller goods ). Try to ensure none of the pallets will be able to move. Put blocks etc to do this against walls of container. Make sure you are fully insured as its your livelihood and check for damages as soon as possible after you unload, there is normally a time limit on claims.

And good Luck

Here is a pic of 2 years ago when I brought a few bits back to Bulgaria about 1500 miles. :)

trip 2010.jpg

On this trip I had Multico wall saw, spindle moulder, 12" logan metal lathe, 16" Robinson planer and lots of smaller stuff inside the LR.

Talk to yr container shippers they may also have some tips for you.
Good Luck
Danny

Attachments

• trip 2010.jpg
    trip 2010.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 846
If having the pallets 2 high in the container, make the hand tool boxes strong enough to take the weight of one of your palletised machines on top.
Band the 2 pallets together so no-one can get into the box underneath.
Most fork trucks loading containers should be able to lift upwards of 1 1/2 tonnes, so lifting 2 pallts at once shouldn't be a problem.
Biggest problem you will have is that your machines won't be the same size as a standard pallet & will possibly overhang quite a bit so you may not get as many pallets in as you think.

When we moved personal effects around the world we always had bespoke boxes made up, and had lids screwed on and sealed with nylon strapping before they left our possession. We never had any problems of thieving. So, yes, make boxes that conceal the contents and are strong enough to be stood on and moved by fork lift.

Hope it all goes well!!

Back