Using forest logs indoors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
I love natural log furniture and i was thinking about having a go at making a basic log table for the side of the bed or something. I'm thinking something easy like a small tree trunk finely sanded and stained or varnished. I'm not worried about intricate designs at this point, this is just a tester project so as long as the top and bottom are flat.

Now there are plenty of logs to play with as i come from the New Forest. My question is about the preparing of a tree trunk. I would be taking the bark off first, but how long should i leave it till i start working on it? Till it appears dried out?

Any particular stain or treatment for sealing and finishing it? Remembering it's going to be an indoor item so i don't want anything that will make a mess.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Calv.

Given that your logs are likely to be recently felled they will contain a lot of water in the form of sap.

Are you suggesting using the end of the log as the actual table top, if so then I would think you need at least 12" dia log for the table to be of any use. The general rule of thumb for sawn boards is to allow 1yr per inch thickness for drying so you could be in for a long wait :cry:

If you work the wood green (still wet) it will certainly crack and split as it dries, this is also likely to happen if you leave the log to dry so provided you don't mind the splits then work it either way.

If worked wet stand the log on a disc of polythene to stop it marking your carpet and don't seal it until its hhad a year or two inside to dry out.

Jason

Back