Using a shop vac around the house... bad idea/good idea?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a NUMATIC NVD750, as I sold my previous Camvac that had sat outside of my workshop and looking for a replacement.

Since I will no longer have a workshop (when I buy my new place in the coming months), I was thinking it would be a good option as a house vacuum as well. Mainly used for the downstairs, I have an older vacuum, but not as good. I would probably still use the older one for the higher levels (four story house!!!).

I believe I there is an extra bit of kit you can buy - Numatic Stainless Steel Floor Cleaning Kit 32mm

Has anyone done anything similar or would it be overkill for a house use?

Paul

I’m seriously considering replacing a domestics vacuum with a Festool one, for these reasons:
1. A bag, for superior performance
2. Much quieter
3. Cheaper

all of which leads me to ask, how can Hoover, Dyson, Electrolux etc get it so very wrong?

Aidan

I've had a shark vacuum for a couple years now for the house. I'm still amazed at how much it collects and no bags, washable filters etc around £150-200

I’m seriously considering replacing a domestics vacuum with a Festool one, for these reasons:
1. A bag, for superior performance
2. Much quieter
3. Cheaper

all of which leads me to ask, how can Hoover, Dyson, Electrolux etc get it so very wrong?

Aidan

This just sounds like you described a Henry lol. If you don't mind a vac with a hose they are really very good bits of kit.

No it is not a good idea. You will not be allowed to have it back once you get a workshop. So speaks the voice of experience. In the end i had to buy an industrial grade Henry in order to be allowed my shop vac.

Last edited:
my cheap and cheerful Screwfix Titan shop vacs are much noisier than the henry, and suck about the same...

My friend spent his working life repairing domestic electrical goods. His advice? Buy a Henry and always use bags.
(I have a Henry and a Lidl Parkside for the workshop and outdoors). His "don't touch with a bargepole"? Dysons. He reckoned he made quite a good living repairing them.

I have three dysons.... all rescued from skips. People don’t clean the filters and then chuck them away cos they don’t suck.
having said that, the house cleaner is a Gtech which is brilliant! I can wizz around the whole house in ten minutes. The deal included a totally independent hand held machine too. £200!

Latest posts

Back