Using a metal work vice for wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Copeland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've been after a vice for a while now and today I've been given a metal work vice!

What I'd like your advice on is how to secure two pieces of wood (or other suitable material) on the inside of the metal jaws so that when I have a piece of wood in the vice that in working on, the metal jaws won't mark it.

Do you just glue them on?!

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Jamie

Check the vice. Most metalwork vices have replaceable, serrated jaws held on by two screws. Easy enough to make replacements out of wood.

You can buy soft jaws which clip over the existing jaws - made of hard rubber or linoleum.

You could just use a roll of leather. Bit of a faff but it works.

I have the metal vice, and the magnetic rubber faced jaws as i was a metal worker for many years before taking up woodwork as a retirement hobby.
To be honest, they are a long way from being ideal for woodwork.
If its a tall piece of wood the "on top" vice puts you working at shoulder height or higher, depending on your own height.
If its a soft wood or even medium hard, those jaws will still mark if you have to hold it tight enough to chisel a joint.
About the only real fit for purpose use is sawing a lump off the end of a plank or hold a long piece while electric planing.

I bought a record 53 1/2 q.r. vice and its perfect for just about anything. Go on, bite the bullet, you wont be sorry.

I fit 'soft' jaws to a small metalwork vice just a fortnight ago as part of a thorough restoration of it I was doing. I unscrewed the steel jaws and made new ones from pine and hardboard, held on with small rare-earth magnets press-fit into holes in the back of the pine pieces.

I'll post a few photos later on.

Metalworking%20Vice%20Soft%20Jaws%20Montage_zpszqeqrgje.jpg

Back