US Magazines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought about offering your magazine electronically Nick? It seems, to me, to be a cheap way to get your magazine out there. You may even take a share of the US market?

Hi Wizer

I have thought of providing electronic material. It's one of the many, many things I need to resolve, and it's frustrating that there are so many things we could provide but can't yet. Sadly there are only so many hours in the day, but we will get there, eventually.

As on another thread here, if anyone would like a free trial copy of British Woodworking do email me at the address below.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Folks,

I have 5 copies of "Shopnotes" that are surplus to requirments.

Issues 2-6

I will accept reasonable offers, if you are interested, PM me.

Darryl

Nick,

I subscribe to 3 mags - your two & Popwood

Pop wood is OK ish
Main problem has been it arriving when it should and I've spent many happy :twisted: :cry: hours chasing up my copy. Take out the USA centric stuff and its less good than at first sight.

Contrast with yours - decent price if you take out a sub & it gets delivered on time every time.

Although I browse the online stuff elsewhere nothing beats the printed page. Even the Adverts in yours are of interest (unlike Pop woods).

So...... only improvement I can see is to spice up the website as a better sales tool, otherwise I think you have got it about right.

I still get FWW but probably won't renew, not becasue it's not good, it is (although many of us hark back to its glory days 10 or 20 years ago) but because it's quite repetitive. I think I now have 3 version of "5 ways to make a drawer". What goes around comes around.

Pop Wood..... is sometimes quite a decent read and some issues have been very good, but delivery to the UK is DIRE. I bet I have to email Megan at least 50% of the time to ask her to send me a replacement. I'm not exaggerating. Recently I only discovered that 2 had gone missing when #171 arrived without me getting 169 and 170. It's also published irregularly, so it's hard to know that it hasn't arrived until the next one does.

I'm thinking it simp[ly isn't worth the hassle any more. That's a pity as the content can, as I say, be good.

S

I subscribed to popwood a few months ago and so far so good, nothing missing.

FWW I sub online and read each issue on there.

Online is about £4.50 a month off the top of my head

Steve Maskery":2hs7kazr said:
I still get FWW but probably won't renew, not becasue it's not good, it is (although many of us hark back to its glory days 10 or 20 years ago) but because it's quite repetitive. I think I now have 3 version of "5 ways to make a drawer". What goes around comes around.

Pop Wood..... is sometimes quite a decent read and some issues have been very good, but delivery to the UK is DIRE. I bet I have to email Megan at least 50% of the time to ask her to send me a replacement. I'm not exaggerating. Recently I only discovered that 2 had gone missing when #171 arrived without me getting 169 and 170. It's also published irregularly, so it's hard to know that it hasn't arrived until the next one does.

I'm thinking it simp[ly isn't worth the hassle any more. That's a pity as the content can, as I say, be good.

S

Hi Steve
I agree with all you say about Pop wood
So you are talking to Megan regular too eh! -Me too -she tries hard pity the rest let her down.
I have to say the last 3 have arrived OK, but I too was totally cheesed off and had decided not to renew. They owe me books going back to Feb but I've still not got them and have written them off -life is too short.

I subscribed back in the middle of October, thought I should | have seen a copy by now ?:

If so any contact details please.

Thanks in advance :

Hi guys,

I just found out seconds ago that digital subscriptions are now available for Popular Woodworking. It's an outside company providing them, but I've been checking them before they go to "print" and they're pretty cool - hot links to advertisers, and to all URLs in the text, etc.

And they've screwed up the pricing...so individual issues are but 99 cents each -- that's .68 pounds to you ;-) . a year's sub, however, is $11.99 (seven issues) -- the math doesn't work! Best of all? If you're a print subscriber, it says access is free. Here's the URL:
https://store.coverleaf.com/softslate/d ... g/#library

Coverleaf does undercut our digital download price (which is $6, as noted earlier in this discussion), however, digital issues aren't available through us until the issue is off the newsstand, and because Coverleaf allows subscribers access their issues for free, well, I thought in the interest of serving overseas readers...

But, in order to read Coverleaf issues, one has to be connected to the Internet and read them on the computer. If you download the $6 version from us, you own it, and can burn it to a disc, print it, etc. So of course, ours is better...if not quite as timely ;-)

Cheers,
Megan Fitzpatrick

Welcome to the forum Megan.

(For those that don't know, Megan is the Managing Editor of Popular Woodworking - at least that's what my last copy of the mag says).

Thanks very much for pointing our members to that link, it might be very useful to some.

Your link was suppressed because you are a brand new member and need to make couple more posts before the system will let you link to urls (helps cut down undesirable bots).

hello,

I suscribed to Popular woodworking and woodcraft magazines.
I prefer the first one.

I have just suscribed to Fine Woodworking and Shop Notes

fitz":3pk2oahj said:
Hi guys,

I just found out seconds ago that digital subscriptions are now available for Popular Woodworking. It's an outside company providing them, but I've been checking them before they go to "print" and they're pretty cool - hot links to advertisers, and to all URLs in the text, etc.

And they've screwed up the pricing...so individual issues are but 99 cents each -- that's .68 pounds to you ;-) . a year's sub, however, is $11.99 (seven issues) -- the math doesn't work! Best of all? If you're a print subscriber, it says access is free. Here's the URL:
https://store.coverleaf.com/softslate/d ... g/#library

Coverleaf does undercut our digital download price (which is $6, as noted earlier in this discussion), however, digital issues aren't available through us until the issue is off the newsstand, and because Coverleaf allows subscribers access their issues for free, well, I thought in the interest of serving overseas readers...

But, in order to read Coverleaf issues, one has to be connected to the Internet and read them on the computer. If you download the $6 version from us, you own it, and can burn it to a disc, print it, etc. So of course, ours is better...if not quite as timely ;-)

Cheers,
Megan Fitzpatrick

The latest issue of PWW dropped on the matt today and it reminded me that I wanted to get my subscriber number to sign up to CoverLeaf. However, I can't now seem to find anywhere on the CoverLeaf website to sign up to this service.

Did anyone try it?

Mine arrived today too (actually it's my bros, but I, er, look after t for him until he's on leave), and without us having to email and moan, too. Excellent.

Is it my imagination or does it look different? That's not a criticism, just an observation. I got the distinct impression I was reading a slightly smaller version of FWW. Good for them if they can pull it off. FWW are still the world leaders (although a shadow of their former selves, I fear).

Of course, BW is hot on their heels :)

S
PS
Wizer, IIRC it is printed on the address label.

I've still not received any mags from PWW.
I subscribed back in October last year, and despite lots of emails to them
nothing seems to be happening . I'm getting annoyed now :evil: .

I think I'll cancel, but then that might be even more difficult than trying to get hold of the magazines :roll: :roll:

No it's not the subscriber number I need, it's the feature of the cover leaf website that lets subscribers view online.

Back