US Magazines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just returned from a trip to the US (golfing holiday).

On one day we passed a bookstore called Books In A Million and was able to drop in for 20 minutes. After escaping from the cashier who insisted on telling me about their loyalty card (even although I was leaving the country the next day), I came away with a few books and a copy of Woodworking, ShopNotes and Popular Woodworking.

Does anyone subscribe to these and if so how reliable is delivery? The exchange rates makes them quite attractive for a 2 year deal.

Regards

D

I subscribe to Shopnotes and delivery is slow and unpredictable. But so far I have not had an issue gone missing. Been intending to subscribe to popwood.

Golfing Holiday aye? OK for some ;) Are you seriously telling us you went to the US of A and only came back with a few magazine sized gloats?? :lol: :p

WiZeR":2eredtw0 said:
I subscribe to Shopnotes and delivery is slow and unpredictable. But so far I have not had an issue gone missing. Been intending to subscribe to popwood.

Golfing Holiday aye? OK for some ;) Are you seriously telling us you went to the US of A and only came back with a few magazine sized gloats?? :lol: :p

Well....

New mallets sizes 1, 3 and Rescue (for all those tight spaces). Oh and a big tool bag :lol:

Regards

D

I'd have left the gold clubs there and filled the bag with a different sort of iron ;)

Dudster, I get 'Popular Woodworking' and haven't had any problems and I enjoy the mag.
Cheers,

Gower

Is fine woodworking avalible over here? it seems to be popular over in the states.

Woody.

I have seen it in some WHS stores. I subscribe to it online and much prefer that mthod.

I subscribe to both Woodsmith and ShopNotes ... quite impressed with the mags. The online account management system appears pretty reliable, but I've found posting questions to their online customer service pretty frustrating.
Delivery ... like you, I'm resident outside the US. My guess is that the regularity or lack of it to you in the UK will be dependent on the international mail system rather than the publisher. I get mine mailed to a friend and business colleague within the US, and in the (relatively short) time I've been a subscriber, things turn up on his desk like clockwork.

Dudster,
I get Fine Woodworking on subscription and delivery seems ok.

Gower

These books are pretty good,I get them off the shelves at the store....I pick and choose because sometimes the content isn`t what I`m looking for..

:wink: I subscribe to Fine Woodworking, the best American mag imho.
There is a UK agent but its a relatively expensive mag and I switched to direct online subscribing this year .Much better value.

Gower":2neq25kt said:
Dudster, I get 'Popular Woodworking' and haven't had any problems and I enjoy the mag.
Cheers,
Gower

'Popular woodworking' has been recommended on here before, it seems to be liked by people in Uk 'tho some have commented on the rather erratic distribution they have always had very good response from customer service.

Out of all the US mags. I only take FWW but because of the exchange rate (which surely can't stay at this level for much longer) I am considering "Pop Wood' as well.

I currently subscribe to "Shopnotes".
http://www.shopnotes.com

I have found this to be a most useful magazine.
I have been buying up back issues and hope shortly have a complete and up to date set.

I start to subscribe as there is no longer any bookshop or newsagent that brings this magazine into the country.

How can we compete in the UK? This is a fantastic deal, and Popular Woodworking is a great mag. See my comment on the other thread about magazines at the moment!

Cheers

Nick

Back