Unusual workholding method ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading the August edition of Woodturning there's an article by Neil Scobie on making a lidded box. The first instruction is;
“open the jaws of your scroll chuck a little before placing the blank against the jaws with tailstock centre pressing the centre”

I've never come across this work holding method before. Does anyone else think it sounds a bit dodgy ?

It's essentially a jam chuck isn't it, if your blank is nice and square on the ends so it's contacting all of the jaws equally and it's not a huge piece I think it should be fine.

I usually keep the tailstock pressing for as long as possible, belt and braces etc.

Re. initial chucking, I push the piece into the chuck with my right thumb on the axis while tightening with the left hand.

If they're advocating placing and turning within slack jaws then I can't see any good reason for this inherent reduction in security.

On a set of C jaws there's around two square inches of shiny flat metal surface to grip the blank with. To get that to hold enough to take the first cuts (and it will be out of balance to some degree) you must need to put a lot of pressure from the tailstock into the lathe bearings.

monkeybiter":3u4abx4t said:
If they're advocating placing and turning within slack jaws then I can't see any good reason for this inherent reduction in security.
The recommendation is to put it against the jaws NOT in them. Then cut the locating spigot to grip the blank with.
Like this:-
Chucking-1.jpg

Attachments

• Chucking-1.jpg
    Chucking-1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,189
I wouldn't. Plenty of other and better ways.

Have you got a face plate? I've started plenty of blanks off on a face plate and double sided tape [with tailstock security].

monkeybiter":32fjz0hi said:
Have you got a face plate?
It's not me suggesting this. I just posted the photo for clarification.

I agree there are many other better ways of work holding than this, I'd be pressed to think of anything worse myself.

I often use the suggested method if I need to turn a disc out of a piece of plank. Quick & easy.
Of course it helps if you cut from the front rather than at 90° to the rim.

Back