Unusual grave embellishment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was in Sandwich at Easter I visited St. Mary's Church and was intrigued by an unusual grave embellishment. I have tried to find more about the graves but have had no joy. Would anyone have any idea of the purpose of these forms? They are made with two pieces of cast concrete and are on both single and double graves.

grave.jpg
[/img]

Brendan

No, sorry. I asked my daughter to nip across the road and take that pic tonight. However, I can tell you the forms are about 1' high, 6' long and shaped like a coffin. There are no marks on any of them. I thought they might be something to prevent grave robbing but a man with a crowbar could easily slide them off. When I looked under some there was just stone and soil. The church was built by the Normans and has had a series of reconstructions and ownerships.

Oh you mean the stone cover on the grave? Well I don't know what the significance is, but they're pretty common, I think. I've certainly seen a few of them. Maybe it's a Kent thing?

looks rather like a bed - brings to mind Spike Milligan's "not dead just sleeping" line

Miles

Never thought of those as particularly unusual, but then I hail from Kent originally, maybe it is a Kentish thing as you suggest. I always assumed it was a less 'bling' version of the statues you get 'lying in state' so to speak on the graves of royalty and nobles in churches and cathedrals - a representation of the body.

Back