Unusual German CK Pliers Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, another mystery tool from the depths.

Has a slot head on one of the ends, a useful touch, they are approx 6” length, and Initial thoughts were electrical, but, the ends are for prying apart so think am way off.

Like old CK, these are nicely finish, very tactile. Sure they’ll be someone knowledgable who will know straight away, however they’ve got me stumped?

Attachments

• 5C6C0F8B-C4DC-49B0-939B-1F932F41E598.jpeg
    5C6C0F8B-C4DC-49B0-939B-1F932F41E598.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 66996498-7415-43A8-953A-A179C0B3FADA.jpeg
    66996498-7415-43A8-953A-A179C0B3FADA.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 96B86C35-89B8-4E62-B78E-3104F6F6AC48.jpeg
    96B86C35-89B8-4E62-B78E-3104F6F6AC48.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 117
I think it is purpose made to be used in a particular job. looks like it has crimps that create a specific shape and also has a wire cutter and the top loaf shape also has a little "anvil" inside it. Something to do with a linesman or perhaps an iron curtain repair tool from the DDR

The hooks kind of remind me of fencing pliers, the crimps maybe for applying those lead meter seals. Wire cutters too - something to do with cable / wire.

agree with droogs and Tony - it's a relative of the wire fence plier/all-in-one - in that case the points at the top are for pulling out wire staples, but there'd be a hammer face on one side

CK were (are?) an interesting company -- yes German originally, but moved to Wales after WWII and both manufactured there and imported under the CK and CeKa brands - some good designs (some just ordinary)

I agree they look like fencing pliers but smaller, probably for something specific.
I like CK tools they make some really nice ratcheting shears for cutting mouldings and stuff and I love the automatic wire strippers. They are good quality but not silly money.

Ollie.

It's hard to say what it's for, but looking at the dents and abrasions, it seems to me that the metal is relatively soft and the turned-over parts on the top suggest that it may have been used to hammer something harder, but not its intended use. Similarly the dents inside the side of the beak suggest that it's been used to lever something harder than its own metal.

The dimples in the central pivot also suggest to me that the action has become loose at some time and it's had a tap or two to tighten it up - something that I have done in the past with soggy pliers.

Piano tuners tools?
Or something in the rag trade, crimping rivets in cloth?

One thing's sure..... it ain't to do with wood-working or engineering that most of us are familiar with................ other trades?

Last edited:
I worked for a demolition/salvage firm in the late 80's and one job was to take down (carefully) a storage facility. There were several thousand metal shelves, bolted to metal supports with slightly rusty Philips headed bolts and nuts. They were in aisles, about 6 inches between shelves, about 7' high, and there were 2 floors separated by a mezzanine - so a lots and lots bolts !

Cheapo screwdriver bits were lasting just a few hours, and getting fed up with the company supplied bits, I bought a set of CK's out of my own money.

6 Bits in the set, and I still use them now - all of them still work perfectly :)

like those compound words, and of course that's what it is - always had probs with my split rings ---- I needed a mother key (mutterschlussel)

ie a multitasking hand-werkzeug, (as only women can do)

Last edited:
Thank you all gentleman, mystery solved. Grey cells working overtime.
Andy, thanks for the links.
When I was a kid (read teenager) messing about with motorbikes, cars etc, split pins were a pain, either to remove or needing a ready replacement, so now I have a good selection in a draw (somewhere), but last time I needed to replace one was years ago, so I don’t feel I’ll be needing these pliers in the foreseeable or even distant future.
If anyone can make use of them, pm me

These now have a new home.
... and they have arrived in it, safe and sound.

Thanks again Adrian. I'm sort of hoping that the ball valve in the loft will go wrong now... and that I can remember what to call them! :)

... and they have arrived in it, safe and sound.

Thanks again Adrian. I'm sort of hoping that the ball valve in the loft will go wrong now... and that I can remember what to call them! :)

Andy, shoulder deep in water with nose pressed tight against the outside of the water tank "Ah, I see what the problem is, DEAR, DEAR?"

Footsteps on the stairs followed by clank and clatter as loft ladder as Mrs. T makes her way to her ever doting husband.
Andy "Ah yes dear, thank you for coming up, would you mind awfully just nipping to the workshop and collecting my Splintenziehzange mit Drahtschneider und Mutterschlüssel for me. you will find them nestled in the upper left draw of the plier cabinet."
Mrs. T "oh yes dear, you did always say you looked forward to using your Splintenziehzange mit Drahtschneider und Mutterschlüssel and this really does seem to be the ideal situation, I shall return post haste with your Splintenziehzange mit Drahtschneider und Mutterschlüssel. May I just say you are looking positively dashing in your new Kesselanzug and I must admit I am tandimount to swooning for you"
Andy "why thank you dear, but at this precise moment in time I could really do with those Splintenziehzange mit Drahtschneider und Mutterschlüssel, I promise however that following this task I will be available for a more detailed inspection of these Keselanzug".
Mrs. T moves away to ladder, Andy remains in place, lights dim and scene.

There are times I am so grateful to have grown up speaking the most pure, original and undiluted mongrel language in the world. So great that the golden rule is "if you don't have a word for it adopt someone else's that is easy to say"

There are times I am so grateful to have grown up speaking the most pure, original and undiluted mongrel language in the world. So great that the golden rule is "if you don't have a word for it adopt someone else's that is easy to say"
Exactly.
In my house, when I need a set I just shout' Show us your nips love'.
(She owns all the various pliers obviously).

For obvious reasons I'm really loving this thread!

I just LOVE (I think that's the word!) the German habit of compounding words and remember a particular example soon after I joined Swissair. Forgetting the well-known "steamshipcaptainscap", anyone want to have a go at:

heckonusklinke?

(As a colleague explained to me, quite easy when you know = tail cone latch).

P.S. Loved the Andy T drama

Latest posts

Back