Unkown (for me) plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I need help to identify this plane and its use.
Apart the singular shape of the rear the sole is skewed like a dovetail plane but dimension (about 1 inch width) and absence of depth stop doesn't match.
Marked JB FERN but google find me only a lot of new-zealand airplanes. :lol:
Thankful for any information you can give me.

album_pic.php

album_pic.php

Although 'tailed' planes were offered commercially, my guess is that this one has been modified by its owner, who has cut it down from a common rebate plane. It's probably been shortened at the toe, so any original maker's mark has been cut off.
Professional woodworkers of earlier generations were often not as reluctant to alter a plane if necessary as most of us nowadays.
As for the original use, I don't really know but I guess it might have been for something in situ and hard to access, not on the bench.

AndyT":22ngx4in said:
Although 'tailed' planes were offered commercially, my guess is that this one has been modified by its owner, who has cut it down from a common rebate plane. It's probably been shortened at the toe, so any original maker's mark has been cut off.
Professional woodworkers of earlier generations were often not as reluctant to alter a plane if necessary as most of us nowadays.
As for the original use, I don't really know but I guess it might have been for something in situ and hard to access, not on the bench.

Yeah - JB Fern is an obvious owners mark. It's not a changer plane, that can easily be done with a conventional square soled plane held at an angle..

it would be interesting to see the mouth, so judge wether the sole has been modified from its original form.

It certainly looks suitable for "tight access" use - the classic scenario is carriage work, but I've seen similar planes in the kit of stair rail makers.

If it is user modified, the guy was good - but then some people were!

BugBear

Add other pictures:

album_pic.php

album_pic.php

Perhaps I should have clean before posting :oops:

Any suggestion for cleaning wood?

Back