union jubilee 3phase to 1phase questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddashk

Established Member
Reaction score
I apologise if this is the type of question that gets asked all the time but I have have been looking around for a while and cant quite figure it out.

I just got a union jubilee in good nick apart from the fact that the previous owner was in the process of switching over to single phase. So I have a lathe in stock form with switch, footswitch and 3phase solenoid type switch in the base of it. but the motor is single phase. I think this is as far as he got.

My main question is can the solenoid switch (not sure what this is actually called) be used to switch single phase and make use of the original power button and foot switch (emergency stop)? Can I just attach my negative and positive and just leave out the third wire (yellow). On the motor side of the switch there are three black wires for the the three phase motor, can I just use the two which connect to the neg/pos and run these to the motor? I would replace these with relevant red/black wires.

I know I could buy a whole single phase system but it would be nice to use the original push buttons and top have an emergency stop which can move about on the floor.

Thanks in advance, damian

You will need a new contactor ( thats the solonoid switch) as yours will almost certainly be 415v coil You need a 240v coil
a new contactor is only £15 ish
Remove your contacter and check the coil voltage someone may have used a 240v coil perhaps
if so then yes you can use the original system and cut out the yellow wire
You will have wiring alterations to the coil latching circuits

Ian

Personally I'd want it 3 phase motor and I'd buy an inverter to run it, variable speed is just so good.

Thanks for the replies, I had not thought about the coil being wound for 415v. That makes sense. It looks like an old switch so probably original will check it out this week. Hopefully I can get it all switched over easy enough, found the wiring diagram for the motor (which still has the price on it)

Back