Unhandling a backsaw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o_LuCaS_o

Reaction score
Hi!

I got a couple of old back-saws I'd like to work on. The problem is that the handles are attached to the saw plates with rivets. What would you Guys suggest as the least destructive way of taking them off? I thought of drilling through them or cutting them with a hacksaw. The former method should save the original handle, sacrificing only the fasteners. On the "no-name" the handle is tight, so I could try to walk around it and do my best without removing it...but the S&J is quite loose.

FOT_0025.JPG

FOT_0024.JPG

Regards, Lukasz!

PS. I'm sorry for putting the images as attachments, but I don't know how to put them as regular images :(

Attachments

• FOT_0024.JPG
    FOT_0024.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 647
  • FOT_0025.JPG
    FOT_0025.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 647
Hi Lukasz,

if you want to keep the hndle and it is tight, why do you want to loosen it?

Before we made saws from stock, I buyed simliar saws on ebay .co.uk and cut the rivets with a hack saw. Btw, I found it was easier to hacksaw on the side without medaillon.
B2110.jpg

None of my drills was able to fight with the rivets, but my drilling knowlegde is not the best.

I would cut off the handle from the S& J and use the other one as test object for sharpening. With the light spine it will never be a nice saw.

Do widzenia!
Pedder

Dobry wieczór, Pedder!

Thanks for the response :) What I meant with the tight handled one, is that, as the handle is nice and tight, I won't do anything to loosen the handle, just clean it up and also clean the blade with the handle still on. It's a very good advise to use it as a sharpening sample :)

With removing the handle, I understand that at first You cut off as much of the handle You can without touching the blade, then You attack from the side cutting through the handle and rivets, am I correct.

Do You have some pictures of the first saw You've made from eBay downers? I'd be glad to see the results :)

Tchuss!
Lukasz

o_LuCaS_o":jxuvogyb said:
Do You have some pictures of the first saw You've made from eBay downers? I'd be glad to see the results :)

Tchuss!
Lukasz

Hi Lukasz,
yes you understood my process!

this was my first handel:

B1681.jpg

It's broken in the meantime. :(

Cheers
Pedder

I have successfully levered the rivets out with a fine screwdriver without much damage to the handle. You only need to get them a small distance out and then use pliers to extract the rest of the way.

Latest posts

Back