Unashamed gloatery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, this is unashamed gloating - no apologies :)

Yesterday I went to the regular collective tool auction at Peacocks in St Neots.

I managed a couple of bargains:
A Nobex 180 mitre saw for the princely sum of £9.20 :)
nobex.jpg

I've now got two of these, so I think I'll set them up with different blades...

An Elektra Beckum KGS300 Mitre saw for £23 :shock: :shock: :D :D
eb1.jpg

It was sold as having failed it's safety test, so I was taking a bit of a chance. When I collected it, Andy the auction house worker suggested it could be just because the fan cover plate was damaged:
eb2.jpg

Turns out he was right :):)
It works fine, but takes forever to stop, which doesn't bother me.
It's a bit tatty as you would expect for a 13 year old saw, but I've given it a good clean and got as much dust out as I could - there was even dust in the IP54 rated electrical box on it.
The bars still need a good clean to get rid of the rust, but they do slide OK even now.

It needs the dust extraction attachment and a knob assembly for setting odd angles, but standard angles are fine.
I could probably do with a clamp as well, but I'll see how it goes.

If anyone's got any useful hints or tips for these saws I'd be interested.

Anyone want a Bosch 10" non-sliding mitre saw? ;)

I chickened out on getting a Leigh dovetail jig and extras - one guy really wanted it and just kept bidding it up :( If he hadn't been there I'd have got another bargain. He actually bought loads and I guess he was annoying lots of us as he didn't seem to really know the value of most of it and stopped "normal" people winning things. Ironically I beat him on the Nobex... :)

You got a superb bargain with the elektra beckum mitre saw.

I have a somewhat newer version of the same thing in blue, not green a KGS301, I think.

It is wonderful to use as it has an induction motor, unlike most other saws (including my Festool Kapex...)

It does spin for an age after stopping - I find myself stopping the blade with a scrap of wood in order to line up another cut. You could get a retrofit blade brake, but I recall it was quite expensive (like £180 or something ridiculous...).

There are (or were) a full extraction connection system and stand and side extensions available - the side extensions are very well made and far superior to the Kapex ones. The workpiece clamp is very useful - I would say essential, so it would be worth trying to find one of those, for sure.

cheers

You sir, suck!

Nice haul indeed. Now you need to do a project with a ton of mitres!

Hi, cambournepete

Very nice, I got a Hitachi M12V Router for £23 from a car boot.

Pete

I have the EB as well and it did bother me very much that the thing doesn't stop

so i fitted the electronic brake and now it stops within 3 sec

The electronic brake for the KGS cost arround 100 euro and is well worth it

The KGS is an excellent machine

I have exactly the same KGS300 green model (and stand) which I keep as a spare. I was going to buy and fit the brake, but at the same time I got a bargain Dewalt DW718 which I could not turn down, and so because I am not using it I did not buy the brake :roll:

Except for the brake which some of the newer models have, it is an excellent saw, and as Scholar says unlike 99.0% of other saws including the Festool and my Dewalt it has a very quiet induction motor.

The only other saw I know which has one is the Axminster QMS2541

100083_l.jpg

which except for the blade cover (changed recently) looks exactly the same saw

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod32404/

So you have got a right bargain Pete. Buy that bit of plastic and you will have an almost perfect saw which will go on for years. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

The Nobex is very underrated. It is accurate, quiet and doesn't send clouds of dust flying. No good for the professional but do most amateurs really need a power mitre saw?

Jim

I chickened out on getting a Leigh dovetail jig and extras - one guy really wanted it and just kept bidding it up Sad If he hadn't been there I'd have got another bargain. He actually bought loads and I guess he was annoying lots of us as he didn't seem to really know the value of most of it and stopped "normal" people winning things. Ironically I beat him on the Nobex... Smile

You gotta watch auction houses,you can put things up for auction,and don't attend on the the day...however that doesn't mean to say your buddy could'nt attend unbekown to the auction room and pump up the bid on his mates behalf.

The car auctions are classic for this.

I have the exact same saw, very good saw but pay attention that the guard closes everytime! I've had the saw for five years now and in two occasions the blade 'stuck' in the open position, this combined with the long very silent run down time of the blade is offcourse dangerous.
The guard get's pulled open by a steel wire wich jumped out of it's groove thus causing the guard to stick in the open position, just something to keep in mind!

Another thing is, if the blade isn't 100% square to the fence, you can micro adjust it with a bolt wich is located next to the table locking lever.

Regards, Christof

Back