Ummm Rutlands again (Sorry)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this a record for the longest delivery time? Or is there anyone who has waited longer.

I placed an order with them on January the 5th for a Dekota pocket hole jig. On February the 8th I emailed then asking what has happened to it. The reply said they were expecting a shipment in the middle of March and it would be dispatched straight away.

About the 1st of March I received a letter saying it would not be delivered until the 30th of March.

Today (23rd March) I received another letter from them saying it would be delivered 30th April.

Now if it turns up on or about the 30th of April it will have been on order nearly 12 weeks, is this a record?

To give credit to Rutlands they have written twice but that ain't no consolation is it.

I wonder why their web site don't show if items are in stock when you order anything? :evil: :evil:

Hi LN

Completely off-topic here, I noticed that your location is Kernow and as I hadn't heard of it I did a quick Google. What a beautiful looking village.

On the Rutland front they do keep you posted which, I believe, is good customer service.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":wjud0eci said:
Hi LN

Completely off-topic here, I noticed that your location is Kernow and as I hadn't heard of it I did a quick Google. What a beautiful looking village.

On the Rutland front they do keep you posted which, I believe, is good customer service.

Cheers
Neil

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I thought it logic that as I was buying this would be where to post. (homer)

Umm Kernow is Cornish for Cornwall ask Alf :lol: dunno where you were looking but I live about a half a mile from here

http://www.talland.org/images/pg8fs.JPG

I think Newbie meant that showing his total ignorance of Cornish was off topic... :wink: :lol:
lisawithflagavatar.jpg

LN, sheesh, you're practically Up Country then? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Lord Nibbo":1bp6bzyn said:
Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, ... dunno where you were looking but I live about a half a mile from here

http://www.talland.org/images/pg8fs.JPG
Gosh, how beautiful! Idyllic even.

Thank you [I think <g>] for posting that picture. Makes me wish I could spend time there.

Take care, Mike
who's trudging back out to the windowless shop...

pg8fs.JPG

Cor, reckon I must have walked past your door then. Looks awfully familiar?

Polperro or thereabouts?

Adam

Hi LN

Lord Nibbo":9ncza7n9 said:
Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I thought it logic that as I was buying this would be where to post.

No, Alf was right, I was apologising for going off-topic. :wink:

I Googled and saw this cottage which I now realise is on a Cornish cottages web site. ](*,)

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":3gpjl3ch said:
Hi LN

Cheers
Neil

A very big no no. Good customer service is when an order is taken and a email is sent within 24 hrs advising the customer that the item is out of stock and giving the customer an option to cancel. Keeping the customer hanging on for 3 months is poor customer service. Of course, as has been mentioned, an indication on the order form that the item is out of stock would be the more honest policy.
Think CYC has also been waiting 3 months for a router plate from Rutlands.
Not so good.

Noel

Sounds like Dakota are the problem, not Rutlands. I too think that their writing to you on several occasions is good customer service.

Tony":1pc017o6 said:
Sounds like Dakota are the problem, not Rutlands. I too think that their writing to you on several occasions is good customer service

You may be right Tony but I also had to wait a month for a couple of Tornado bits and I'm still waiting on a Bucket Boss apron - due now end of April. CYC is waiting for a Jessem router plate so it probably indicates that there is a more general supply chain issue. I agree that writing to inform is good customer service but putting my cynical hat on for a sec - to be told a 4 or 5 week waiting time is more likely to secure an order than a 10 week one. That said I think Rutlands have raised their game significantly in the last year or so and it would be a real shame if they slid now.

Cheers

Tim

Hows this then:

I ordered a couple of sash clamps in November. By February they were still out of stock, so I rang up and canceled my order.

Towards the end of February, I got a knock at the door from a delivery driver. Couldn't for the life of me think what I had ordered. I opened the package to find two clamps.

I'd say that good customer service is when you are sent FREE clamps.

Slimjim81":170nifdv said:
I'd say that good customer service is when you are sent FREE clamps.

Indeed, although I'd be closely checking Marchs credit card statement!

Adam

Adam":27ehog9m said:
Cor, reckon I must have walked past your door then. Looks awfully familiar?

Polperro or thereabouts?

Adam

Yes as Alf says it's east Cornwall, It's Talland Bay, Polperro is directly behind the hill in the background.

Now to get back to Rutlands. On Monday I ordered a dowel plate with some trepidation, I'll let you know when it arrives, as yet I've received no email saying it's dispatched or out of stock, so we will wait and see. :(

I apologise for taking this back on-topic...

I'd have thought that good customer service is when you order a product one day and get it the next (or at least very soon after).
Having to wait a month to be told that it is out of stock, especially when this information has to be dragged out of the supplier, doesn't put the supplier in a very good light.
Certainly the follow up letters help, but you can't do much woodwork with them! I'm sure the opportunity to cancel the order still exists and from other posts it appears that the money isn't taken until the goods are despatched, but it doesn't stop the delay from being frustrating.

Of course, I'm sure everyone can be let down by suppliers, but this appears to be happening a lot here which is surely a case of poor stock control.

Sounds like Dakota are the problem, not Rutlands

...but aren't they one and the same thing? That's certainly the impression I got elsewhere.

Perhaps the ideal situation would be for the system to be unable to take an order for an out-of-stock item with the offer to email the customer when it is back in stock?
Being somewhat cynical though, I would think that companies would be reluctant to do this though as I'm sure that, under the current system, most of us wouldn't bother to cancel the order assuming that the lack of stock is only temporary - any other system would make it too easy to look elsewhere!

Hi DA

We all have thoughts on such subjects as these, and yours seem to be quite deeply thought through. They make for interesting reading.

I'm curious, though - you haven't mentioned what sort of woodworking you are involved in. I'd be interested to know.

Gill

devonwoody":16lw6iur said:
Devon is equal to Cornwall with landscape pics

Oh no, what have I started. #-o

I'll get my coat.

Cheers
Neil

PS Hi Gill, I've got some of those chocolate biscuits that you really like.

Pish. Look at all that crumbly cliff; won't last above 2 or 300 millennia. :roll: Nope, granite, chum, that's what you want for a real long-lasting bit of cliff face. Evidently the Devonians went with the cheap option on the spec while the Cornish opted for something with a bit of wear in it... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

If it's Rutlands suppliers who are slacking then really it's not Rutlands fault. Sometimes lead times can fall behind especially if the supply is an import. Rutlands seem to supply a lot of stuff that is sourced in the states so I'm guessing that's why they aren't using a stock count on their website.

Still I think my favourite e-tailer has got to be Toolstation. I put in an order yesterday morning and the stuff arrived at 9:20am today. This has happened every time I've ordered from them so I'd give them a 10 on promptness. The only downside is that some of the stuff they sell is pretty crappy.

Back