Ulmia 728 inlay cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get some more info on the above tool, tried google but no joy.

Cheers Ian

Ian":afbocvgw said:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get some more info on the above tool, tried google but no joy.

Cheers Ian

Any more info - details, description, mode of use?

BugBear

Ulmia make a number of veneering tools. I am unfamiliar with one having the number you quote.

I have the one below which will cut strips or knife lines to define an area for inlaying strips. is the thing you are talking of something like this?
342401962_VuFPz-M.jpg

Hi Waterhead

That looks like the one does it have 2 blades for cutting the channel and a third for clearing the channel, if so thats it.
I got the details from The Complete Manual of Wood Veneering by William Lincoln
Any idea where I can get one?

Many Thanks

Ian

Ian":vo4rgoml said:
I got the details from The Complete Manual of Wood Veneering by William Lincoln

That's a book from 1984. It's "possible" the tool is no longer available :)

BugBear

Yes thats quite possible but i'm intrested to see where waterhead got his.

I also thought there might be a secondhand one out there.

Cheers Ian

Ian":teftoejp said:
Yes thats quite possible but i'm intrested to see where waterhead got his.

I also thought there might be a secondhand one out there.

Cheers Ian

Some use of the wayback machine got me this information:

wayback":teftoejp said:
We presume it has come to your attention that the Ulm based firm of ULMIA GmbH & Co. KG had to declare itself insolvent in the Spring of 2002 and consequently ceased production and sales in the end of August.

A few weeks ago, the firm ANTON KESSEL GmbH & Co. KG (ANKE workbenches)
acquired the
trade mark ULMIA together with various patents and items of production equipment. We will now offer
a considerable number of products made by ULMIA through the newly founded ULMIA GmbH.

So any product from the prior period would have to survive a pretty difficult decision.

Secondhand, or an equivalent gadget from another manufacturer may be your only options.

BugBear

Ian,

I have the same one Chris posted the photo of, although I made some additional, differing length beams for it (I believe it came with a long one).
This was certainly back in the 1980s; as noted, you could use the tool either to cut out a groove for inlay or cut the inlay itself by mounting the knife pair bevel in or bevel out.

I also bought at around that time one of Ulmia's sliding table saws, the model 1711 -- expensive, but a really excellent piece of equipment for a small custom shop. The company was perhaps best known for their workbenches, in addition to a variety of well made hand tools; I have one of their cherry bodied, lignum vitae-soled smoothing planes.

As mentioned, the original company ceased operation a few years ago and has been reconstituted in a new form but I don't know any more than that.

Hi Frank

I contacted the new company or the one that took over Ulmia but that tool is no longerlisted, there seems to be very little info on this tool or to be more precise no info, is the correct name for the tool a Ulmia inlay cutter of is it called something else as this might helpme search for a secondhand one

cheers Ian

Ian,

It does have a blade for clearing the channel.

I have to say it's not a very easy thing to use. I generally prefer a scratchstock for making a groove. I am afraid I have no recollection of where I got mine but it was a few years ago.

waterhead37":1z78j7vy said:
Ian,

It does have a blade for clearing the channel.

I have to say it's not a very easy thing to use. I generally prefer a scratchstock for making a groove. I am afraid I have no recollection of where I got mine but it was a few years ago.

Perhaps a few detailed photos would help the OP find (or make) the tool he needs :)

I note that the channel be be 2-8 mm wide. Does it have multiple channel-clearing-blades to suit the widths?

BugBear

Many Thanks guys for the info, if possible and if you get the time some detailed photos would be great as I would be keen on making one maybe with some improvements.

cheers Ian

bugbear":2c2m8hz4 said:
I note that the channel be be 2-8 mm wide. Does it have multiple channel-clearing-blades to suit the widths?

BugBear

Mine is on loan to a friend at the moment so I can't check right now, but I think there are a couple of different width blades, or really, little chisels. Even if not, you could still clean out a groove wider than the chisel by retracting the cutting blades and adjusting the fence a bit right or left for another pass.

Back