UK Workshop Cooks Club

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
This will probably fall on deaf ear, but in an attempt to keep the recipes coming but collate them in a single place. Please post your cookery mastery in this thread.

I cooked wheat free shortbread biscuits and wheat free apple & pear crumble today. Both delicious. So far so good on the wheat free idea.

Biscuits

200g Gluten Free Plain Flour
150g Butter
100g Caster Sugar
5g Xanthan Gum

Mix, Press into baking tin, bake for 25mins 160c fan oven.

What an excellent idea...... :)
To start my ball rolling, here's my chilli con carne recipe... Now, I realise that chilli (or is that 'chile' - I'm having a brain fart and can't remember the spelling) is a fairly basic thing, but done well, it's an absolute luxury. These quantities suit me down to the ground, the important things being good quality ingredients (as always), quick cooking of the mince and slow cooking of everything else.

800g steak mince (got to be decent meat otherwise it gets all grainy...)
2 tins chopped tomatoes
4-6 onions (red/white mix), half very finely chopped, half coarsely chopped
chopped garlic (however much you like, but at least 1 clove per onion)
1 pint beef stock (I use the concentrated stuff in little bottles)
some chillis - I use a mix of smoked jalapeno, ancho and habenero's, all dried, but use to your own tastes - just no 'chilli powder' please!
other spices:
2-3 dsp ground corriander
2-3 dsp ground cumin
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1-2 dsp plain flour

1) fry till slightly browned in some oil of your choosing, the meat (seasoned with plenty o pepper and salt) in batches and set aside each batch in large ovenproof pot/pan
2) add onions/garlic to same pan and gently fry 10 mins till golden and soft. After 5 mins, add the spices/chillis and cook for remaining 5 mins. Add to ovenproof pot.
3) add stock/tomatoes/flour to ovenproof pot and stir well and cover.
4) place in oven @ gas mark 2-3/150-170 celsius
5) cook for 2-3 hours, stirring every half hour
6) check and adjust seasoning/chilli heat every hour if necessary
7) enjoy with rice/tortillas/chips/nacho's/cold beer.

There, you should get the hang of it, and notice that the qauntities of ingredients arent that important, more the rough ratios and cooking method..... And as usual, it's much better the next day... When I cook it, we normally freeze most and use for quick dinners. It seems to get hotter the longer it's left!

Cheers,
Adam

Here's my breakfast recipe....

1 medium size bowl
2 shredded wheat.
Add milk.
Microwave for 90 seconds.
Add a little sugar to taste or a lot to get fat.

Enjoy.

Toast

1-2 Slices of Bread
Optional Butter (or other type of spread)
Optional Topping

Method

Put Bread in one of these
toaster.jpg

Wait 'til it comes out again
Apply Optional Spread
Apply Optional Topping

Enjoy.

would not":3vz28tth said:
Here's my breakfast recipe....

1 medium size bowl
2 shredded wheat.
Add milk.
Microwave for 90 seconds.
Add a little sugar to taste or a lot to get fat.

Enjoy.
You forgot the dollop of Albran and the 'nana...no sugar though, no heat either :wink:
Guaranteed to keep you 'regular' :lol: - Rob

OK I'll play...

Chicken and Mushroom Pasta Bake (Chicken Tettrazini)

• 20g/a small handful of dried porcini mushrooms
• olive oil
• 4 chicken thighs, boned, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• 350g/2 handfuls of mixed fresh mushrooms, cleaned and torn
• 200ml oz white wine
• 455g dried spaghetti
• 500ml double cream
• 200g Parmesan cheese, grated
• a sprig of fresh basil, leaves picked

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Put your porcini mushrooms in a bowl and pour over just enough boiling water to cover them (approx. 150ml/5½fl oz). Put to one side to soak for a few minutes. Heat a saucepan big enough to hold all the ingredients, and pour in a splash of olive oil. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown them gently in the oil. Strain the porcini, reserving the soaking water, and add them to the pan with the garlic and fresh mushrooms. Add the wine, with the strained porcini soaking water, and turn the heat down. Simmer gently until the chicken pieces are cooked through and the wine has reduced a little.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions and drain well. Add the cream to the pan of chicken, then bring to the boil and turn the heat off. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the drained spaghetti to the creamy chicken sauce and toss well. Add three-quarters of the Parmesan and all of the basil and stir well. Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish or non-stick pan, sprinkle with half the remaining cheese and bake in the oven until golden brown, bubbling and crisp. Divide between your plates, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese before serving.

That sounds nice Lee.

I just made Wheat free bread. Waiting for it to cool for a verdict..

Back