typical spacings and dimensions for shelves and books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks a nice website you have there. Nice idea to include the shelf dimensions too. I have a small booklet that I often refer to giving dimensions for seat hights, elbow space at tables, desk heights etc. I always keep it handy as my memory sin't what it used to be. :lol:

trumpetmonkey":3f6fbmxz said:
... please feedback to me here how it could be improved and ...
You might mention that the human eye can easily spot a shelf sagging by as little as 1 or 2 mm (1/32”) over a 610 mm (24”) length.

Similarly you might also include the information that standard bookshelf loading is 25 lb per shelf foot length or 12 kg per 300 mm length (using whichever units you prefer, although I usually provide both imperial and metric in my technical documents). Exceptions to these standard numbers exist of course but are generally readily spotted, eg, a request to create shelving for a collection of large format art books should trigger a reaction to build stronger shelving, eg, use 18 mm thick solid oak instead of 18 mm thick oak veneered MDF, or that extra reinforcement is necessary, or that the shelf span should be shortened, or a combination of all three measures may the right solution. Slainte.

Nice web site and quality of work. I wish you every success in your change of direction. Always a market for well thought out reliable quality work.

Congratulations on a great website, good clear navigation with useful information.
I have designed many storage solutions in the past, it surprises me how many people want storage build but are unsure about what they require.

If you want to know abt shelf measurements then the info above is good no doubt.
But there is a short cut for the lazy - just take a look at some (loaded) shelves in your vicinity and measure a few things.
Not being facetious here - in general looking at stuff is a really good and useful exercise.

Mailee, is that pocket book 'the architect's pocket book' by any chance? Or else what is it, I would be interested.

Sgian Dubh that info you gave is very useful, i will refer to it myself and also add it into the website next time i'm updating if thats ok.

Thanks for positive comments on the site etc. I just hope it will enable me to finally start making a living!! I put a lot of work into it and google seems to like it, but it was made a lot easier by the company I am using, I highly recommend them having looked around at various options, they are called reason8 and they provide very powerful user friendly tools to build the website yourself online without any knowledge of HTML etc.

EssexChris":3n14vvwq said:
Congratulations on a great website, good clear navigation with useful information.
I have designed many storage solutions in the past, it surprises me how many people want storage build but are unsure about what they require.

I agree storage is a good market to aim at, least thats what I'm hoping!

Jacob":2nlu86vp said:
If you want to know abt shelf measurements then the info above is good no doubt.
But there is a short cut for the lazy - just take a look at some (loaded) shelves in your vicinity and measure a few things.
Not being facetious here - in general looking at stuff is a really good and useful exercise.

yeah true and thats what I often do but believe me having it all written down / drawn in one place is even easier!

Back