TV in the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlt

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title, please discuss.

My workshop doesnt have many windows so was contemplating a camera/cctv set up to a tv in the workshop to see whats going on outside, if a smart tv it could be useful for video/music. Have a pc/tablet in there currently but they do get in the way, thinking wall mount 32/40" tv's are cheap enough these days.

So benefit or distraction?

Cheers, Tom.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

god no, I go to the workshop to get away from mindless drivel and concentrate on specific tasks (be that cleaning a bike though welding a frame to making sawdust) I have no windows (intentionally, to hide whats in there). once I'm in there I don't really care whats going on outside.

Do you really want your fingers near a table saw when suddenly a sex scene appears in front of you?

I cant think of any more dangerous in the work shop.

sunnybob":3grdhl2a said:
Do you really want your fingers near a table saw when suddenly a sex scene appears in front of you?

I cant think of any more dangerous in the work shop.

he wants it to show a camera looking outside. unless that is regularly happening directly outside his workshop, then I dont think that it is a serious threat.

surely it's a distraction, and one of the most dangerous things you could possibly have, especially if you use machines,,

oh look it's come dine with me, looses hand in a 100th of a second, career is over, disabled for life.

thetyreman":213b62lz said:
surely it's a distraction, and one of the most dangerous things you could possibly have, especially if you use machines,,

oh look it's come dine with me, looses hand in a 100th of a second, career is over, disabled for life.

That shows some freudian thinking. You think a laden dinner table is "dust"raction; I thought steamy sex scenes.

Whos a dirty boy then?

Got a telly in mine as well, mostly set to a music channel , but when i fancy a break or maybe a quite beer at the end of the day then i get to watch TV in peace , also bloomin handy for watching dvd's.

I've long had a wireless in mine, permanently tuned to R4 (I accidentally hit it with a mallet, removing the tuner knob)... That's distraction enough for me... If I owned a TV, the workshop probably isn't where I'd put it, but I can't actually see the harm... Other than getting even less done due to distraction.

TV defiantly a distraction, or music. Even with a CCTV could find yourself monitoring, rather than monitoring the task at hand.
Perhaps also consider, sort of old habits die hard, CCTV monitor screen bit like telly, could find yourself continually glancing at it to see whats going on outside. Rather than focusing on the task at hand, inside the workshop.

Dust is the bane of most electrical equipment.

Several years back I bought the cheapest 7" tablet that I could find, just so I could familiarise myself with the Android operating system, because I don't use a mobile phone or anything with a touch screen.

Using the free version of an app called 'My Live Cams' I can view 3 IP cameras to show visitors or delivery drivers & along with a baby monitor, I can hear the doorbell & more importantly, hear when the tea's made.

Back