Turning Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post this here in the the turning section. Hoping that all the turners in the group hang out here once in a while.

I am looking for recommendations for some turning chisels/gouges as a Christmas present for my father. He has a Shopsmith multi-purpose machine that can be used as a lathe.

Would prefer a smaller number of better tools than a large set of mediocre ones but since I have never done any turning I am at a loss as to the best place to go or what to look for.

And perhaps a good book on the subject too. He is a beginner at wood turning but has plenty of experience in metal.

Advice please.

Andrew

Andrew - Axminster do a couple of decent sets, (5 tools to a set) one by Henry Taylor and the other by Crown. They also do their own Perform HSS set with 6 in it which look quite good value. I'm sure others will be along in due course to offer alternatives. Hope it helps - Rob

CHJ":3ap7t22w said:
Andrew, In my opinion the best book for a beginner is Keith Rowley's Woodturning Foundation Course
Heartily seconded. Taught me all I know; but don't let that put you off... :wink: As far as tools go, unless there's a pressing need for something unwrappable I'd be tempted to provide a copy of the Axminster catalogue with an appropriate voucher attached. That way he can make the decision based on the book's info and his own preferences. Mind you I may only think that 'cos I reckon deciding what to get is half the fun of tool purchases. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

If you are buying beginners tools I usually recommend buying mid range Hamlet or Crown chisels and buy separate chisels you get better value for money. My six would be

Roughing gouge 3/4" or if budget allows 1 1/4"
3/8" spindle gouge
3/8" bowl gouge
3/4" skew (oval)
1/8" parting chisel
1" round nose scraper s

The above 6 should be about £92.00 ( cheaper if you go for the 3/4 roughing gouge.

You can buy sets cheaper £79.00 for a record starter set but you compromise on the size of some of the chisels. From experience I would only recommend brands : _ Robert Sorby good but expensive, Ashley isels Good but can be expensive, Henry Taylor (see Robert Sorby) Hamlet excellnet at affordable prices, Crown excellent good value but the factory grinds may need changing on the bowl gouges.

Alf":1g9yz2hl said:
I reckon deciding what to get is half the fun of tool purchases. :lol:

Quite agree :)

That's why I am trying to decide what to buy. If he is going to have the pleasure of using them then I want the pleasure of buying them.

Beats finding presents for five nieces any day :-(

Andrew

Latest posts

Back