Turning laburnum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a few small laburnum logs yesterday. All about 18" long and around 2"-3" in diameter.
I read somewhere that laburnum becomes very brittle when dry and as such is better to turn green. I want to make some lamps from this, so would I be better to turn them green and try to dry it slowly in a paper bag with the shavings, or should I try to dry it by conventional means & turn it dry?

I don't know about turning brittle but the outer sap wood rots very quickly so I usually at least rough turn it when I get it.

Pete

I haven't found it to be brittle when dry, it pretty much like any dry timber, a little harder than when its wet, it takes fine detail pretty well. I made a Chess set with Laburnum for the black pieces, I had no problem with any of it being brittle, but it was definitely dry.

good timing. I sliced up a few logs of the same yesterday. Its just lovely stuff.

Attachments

• RP BS400 Review 56.jpg
    RP BS400 Review 56.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,296
  • RP BS400 Review 57.jpg
    RP BS400 Review 57.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 1,296
  • RP BS400 Review 58.jpg
    RP BS400 Review 58.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,296
  • RP BS400 Review 62.jpg
    RP BS400 Review 62.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,296
Oh I see :) Sorry Graham.....being slow tonight. I started in earnest on the Ash windfall today and the bigger bits with the olive ash heartwood are lovely. Also my pal brought round another two apple tree butts 5' each in length. I've been given 4 apple trees now just since August. I've become the local tip for wood :)

I have a 6" diameter log that I've been taking small sections off for about 4 years. It still feels like newly cut wood. It takes a lovely smooth finish from tools. It smells a bit sour but not too bad (I don't like coffee type smells).
Enjoy.

Mike

Random Orbital Bob":1hmjec98 said:
Oh I see :) Sorry Graham.....being slow tonight. I started in earnest on the Ash windfall today and the bigger bits with the olive ash heartwood are lovely. Also my pal brought round another two apple tree butts 5' each in length. I've been given 4 apple trees now just since August. I've become the local tip for wood :)

If you become over run in timber I am sure we can help you out

:D Vic :D

I have three 18" diameter x 12" logs donated by my friendly tree surgeon. Too heavy at the moment to put on the lathe and I m loathe to cut them up. Just hoping they stay OK until they have dried out a bit. Never seen laburnum this size before.

Pete

Vic Perrin":103r91ny said:
Random Orbital Bob":103r91ny said:

If you become over run in timber I am sure we can help you out

:D Vic :D

If you're ever passing Vic, you're always welcome for a Hob nob and some bits of wood :)

Thanks for the info folks, I think I will give drying a go with most of the logs. I think I will also try turning a couple of bits green and then drying in the airing cupboard too. You just can't beat free timber. :D

Unfortunately I now also have some laburnum envy after seeing the photos y'all posted.
Then again, I also have a good half dozen holly logs I picked up yesterday. These are all around 4' long, so will be getting put away as they are.

Be sure to seal the holly ends well Taz, out of all the woods I have had from green, Holly is the one that splits the most.

Latest posts

Back