Turning antler / bone etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a box with a finial made from antler. It turns white and would look much better ivory colour. Anyone know how to do this?

Pete

Hi Pete.

One of the old tricks was to soak bone bobbins in a weak tea solution (no milk) :lol: to give them a antique look. It may work with antler, start with a very weak solution, then make it stronger if you think it is needed. Also the length of time soaking is trial and error, just keep checking.

I believe the same process works on 'Alternative ivory' if you ever fancy using some. Or you can use 'Dylon' dyes to colour some of these pieces.

Thanks Tam. I put it in a strong solution last night and it seemed to go yellow instantly. I've left it there soaking for 24 hours so will see what it's like tonight.

Pete

It works! Dramatically, the longer you leave it in the tea, the darker it goes. I am waiting for it to dry out before polishing and inserting. I'll post a picture when completed

Pete

Glad it worked out for you Pete.

I've never used the method on antler, but something else to remember for the future, I've got a pair of antlers here so may mess with them. Trouble is they are very porous in the center apart from the tips.

PS - Don't polish too hard the colour won't go too deep into the antler. When I used it on bone I used to buff them when dry. They came up a treat.

If you turn the narrower parts the porous bit is quite thin. Where the antler is thicker it takes up about 50% of the diameter. Makes a change from wood though :lol:

Pete

Latest posts

Back