Turning again..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these bowls Andrew. The contrast in shape and texture always appeals to me. Do you still have your work up in the pub?

Pete

Some nice bits again Andrew. Like the idea of the natural edge bowl.

This is not a criticism :lol: , honestly. Is there any special reason for having the bottom of the inside of the bowl flat? Just curious is all, my preference is for a curved inside, but may have to try one like yours.

Some nice looking pieces Andrew :D
Like the bowl idea a lot,and i think this one is the first i've seen with a flat bottom.Looks good as it carries on the flat surface of the plank. :D
What's the difference between filed and ordinary Maple :? :?:

Sweet bowls !

Remind me of some wonderful wooden sinks i saw in sweden last year.

Loz

Thanks for the comments
Tam - the flat bottom is as Paul suggested,just to fit in with the flat plank theme.
Pete - yes,I've now got my own display shelf in the pub :D (made,fitted and stained the shelf as well..)
Paul - no idea of any difference,was sold it as field maple.Bark stays on very nicely,and cuts well (comes off in lovely little curly shavings)

Andrew

I like the flat bowl Andrew, looks realy effective, great idea :D

I've planted lots of field maple as hedging,its definatly its own thing and not just sycamore.

JT

Managed to sneak into the workshop again today..

Picture_179_Small.jpg

Picture180Small.jpg

Spalted beech,255mm diameter,45mm high,waxed.

Andrew

Another nice piece Andrew, I like the groove around it breaking up the side and rim 8)

You're lucky getting out into your shed, I've just spent my day emptying my 'office' out to turn into a nursery!

JT

Spalting goes about halfway across,Paul - but that's the only discoloured patch,the rest just has some slight streaky lines in it.
JT - nursery ? Put's you in a different generation to me,I'm due to be a grandad again in July :shock:

Andrew

Paul.J":6fi2ge5b said:
What's the difference between feild and ordinary Maple :? :?:

they are different species

Feild maple - Acer Campestre is a fairly small tree commonly found in pastures or in hedgerows

there is not one species called "maple" as this is the common name for the acer family , but the tree normally reffered to as "maple" or "canadian maple" in the UK is more properly Red Maple - Acer Rubrum and is a much larger tree with distinctive red leaves.

the most common maple / Acer in the Uk is the sycamore Acer Pseudoplantanus again a large tree with wood which i'm sure we are all familiar with.

There are loads of other maples sugar bark, japanese , phillipenes etc etc.

Incidentally batsford arboretum near moreton in the marsh has the national Acer colledction and is well worth a visit for those interested in lesarning more - best time to go is in the autumn as the acers turn vibrant yellows, orange , and red.

big soft moose":3cfv026c said:
best time to go is in the autumn as the acers turn vibrant yellows, orange , and red.

I was coming down the St Lawrence seaway one October just as the maples were beginning to turn red. Down nearer the the river they were still green and they became progressively more red as they got higher up the mountains. Most spectacular sight I've ever seen. Looked like the mountain tops were on fire as the sun set.

Pete

Interesting ! -
I have a tree in my garden , which I identified by its leaves ( after consulting the good old 'tinternet' ) as Field Maple.

Having trimmed some 'errant limbs' off it, they're drying in the garage, do see if it would be possible to make something from them. - they're not big.. only maybe 3" Dia, but i thought I'd try -- seeing as they had to come off anyway.

So its a 'type of Maple' -- an Acer, but not sycamore then ?
have I understood right ?
:?

:D

Very Nice too, Andrew ! lovely !
8) 8) 8) 8)

Jenx":6x3wh0oz said:
So its a 'type of Maple' -- an Acer, but not sycamore then ?
have I understood right ?
:?

:D

thats correct mate - sycamore is also a type of acer (and therefore technically a maple)

Managed a bit of turning time inbetween gardening and other jobs today

Picture191Small-1.jpg

Picture188Small.jpg

Walnut (thanks again,Alun) - 175mm diameter,50mm high,waxed

First go with native walnut,cuts beautifully,with tight little curly shavings.

Andrew

Back