Turning again..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
After spending most of my spare time in the last four months involved in a house refurb,have finally got back to having at least some free time I get to choose how I spend it :D

Started off with something easy to get back "in the swing of things" :wink:

Picture023Small.jpg

Couple of mushrooms in yew,both about 50mm diameter,80 + 110 mm high,finished with friction polish.

Recently bought some plastic bud vase inserts,so thought I'd better make a couple :-

Picture041Small.jpg

Sycamore,60mm max. diameter,100 mm high,waxed..

..then made another,and had a play with some Chestnut spirit stains.

Picture029Small.jpg

Had an idea of what to do with a smallish slab of burr elm (320mm x 230mm x 60mm) - turned a small bowl recess,then added some small feet made from some wenge offcuts I had :-

Picture038Small.jpg

Picture039Small.jpg

And then made an ornamental egg and eggcup :-

Picture064Small.jpg

The egg is made from spalted hornbeam,60mm diameter,90mm height ; eggcup is pau amarello,60mm diameter,85mm high - both finished with acrylic lacquer.

Did consider going to Harrogate today - but think this was much more enjoyable 8)

Andrew

Andrew
All of your work looks good. Know what you have been going through, not albe to turn because of other things. I have not turned for the past 8 weeks due to looking after labradoodle pups. All ready for home thursday then i HIT THE HUT.

I like what you have done with the wood stains.

Lucky Sod, I'm still putting my 'workshop' back together. Hopefully only a couple more days to go......

As always you have done some nice things there. I love mushrooms in yew, not so keen in other woods. The burr is lovely, just my sort of thing and the feet are a nice touch. allows you to leave th bottom intact.

Pete

Thanks for all the comments :D

Braved the curent arctic temperatures to make it as far as the workshop (all 5 paces of it,door to door :wink: ) for a while this morning.
Made a couple more mushrooms,then had a play with a block of tatajuba that I bought purely because I hadn't heard of it before.. :lol:

Picture066Small-1.jpg

Picture067Small-1.jpg

Picture068Small-1.jpg

150mm square,55mm high,waxed.

Only caught my fingers about three times,and never drew blood once 8)

Andrew

You're braver than me Andrew, too bloody
cold by half to even open the back door today.
Nice turning mate, that's a new wood to me also. :D

That little square bead under the top is an excellent accent that produces a wonderful optical illusion in the profile view. I looked at that first picture and thought to myself: "Why does he have that board laying on top of his bowl?".

Very nice!
Bob

Hi Andrew ....
Fantastic pieces, all !
Love the curvature of the sycamore bud vase, the burr is a stunner, the dyes have come out fantastically, the Tatajuba reminds me a bit of London Plane, and the piece itself is great and 'different'... in the 'I'll take a risk and try something different' way, and its worked really nicely.
Isn't Yew just the most gorgeous stuff ! My limited experience has yet to see the making of anything in yew.. I have a square, but have been keeping it until I feel confident enough to try and do it justice... your mushies are showing the wood off just perfect ! Very nice indeed.

If these pieces are 'just to get back in the groove'... can't wait to see what's coming once you feel your fully back in it !
All those look terrific !

Great Stuff !

-- & Pete.. hope you get back up and running 'soon as' ... been missing the 'rustic stuff' of late.. & need a 'fix' !! Good luck with getting yourself fully sorted in the next day or so. :)

Made a couple of platters this morning before a phone call altered my plans to make another :(

Picture086Small-1.jpg

Picture085Small.jpg

Elm (with a small patch of burr) 285mm diameter,35mm high,finished in foodsafe oil

Picture082Small.jpg

Picture080Small-1.jpg

Olive ash,300mm diameter,45mm high,foodsafe oil.

Andrew

Ash certainly gives up some distinctive figuring, every time I look at a piece it reminds me of the sand ripples in an estuary.

Any problems with the oil initially lifting the grain Andrew?

Does slightly,Chas - I dry sanded to 240 grit,oiled it,then wet sanded at 320 to take the raised spots off,then re-oiled - so it's smooth as a babies bum.. :lol:

Andrew

I love the elm platter, the simple style of it looks excellent with the figuring, the swirls around the bit of burr really make it.
How thick is it? I ask because it looks about 'right' to me and I want to have a go at making one myself :) . Any way great stuff Andrew :D

JT

Mornin' Andrew. As usual some nice stuff there, do like that piece of Elm Burr, and the first platter. Beautiful figure, and nice to actually use.

I can sympathise with you I've been hanging off a paint brush for the last week, hopefully I will be finished today. (Unless 'er indoors comes up wiv sumfink!) :cry: If not I will be in my garage, got some really nice pieces of tree wood from a couple of forum members and have not managed to get near them yet. Other than drool over them of course. :lol:

johnny.t.":easvwpk9 said:
I love the elm platter, the simple style of it looks excellent with the figuring, the swirls around the bit of burr really make it.
How thick is it? I ask because it looks about 'right' to me and I want to have a go at making one myself :) . Any way great stuff Andrew :D

JT

Hi John - it's just a sweeping ogee profile,about 6mm thick,tapering to about 2 or 3 at the rim.
I think that generally,nicely figured timber only needs simple shapes.

Andrew

Back