Turning a Thimble Info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked if i can turn some wooden thimbles for a friends mother. I have plenty of large pen blanks that will look good. Has anyone made any thimbles before, and if so can i get some tips. :)

Dermot.

Az loz indicated, you really need the correct size information if they are intended as 'users', fit and feel are quite important to a regular needle worker. (surreptitious purloining of a user for a quick plastercine impression helps a lot)
Of course if they are for decorative 'collection' this is not critical.

I think that you will find a pen blank is too small unless we are talking about someone really tiny. They are usually worn on the index finger . Also check if it is going to be used as this will also be a matter to consider regarding what wood you use. You will need a hard wood. A needle is sharp at both ends and can go through some of the softer woods....not recommended.

Pete

I have just got to try that! It had never dawned on me either? I have a round nosed router cutter that may just fit the bill for the round interior?

I'm not sure why you would need the cyano though. If you are using a hardwood the wood alone should suffice me-thinks?

Also, why would anyone spend out on even a cheap cheese cutter for the burnt ringing?

Very interesting! Thanks for the idea Durmot :D

Thethimbles are only for her collection. I found out that the blanks used to make non working thimbles are cut from a 1"x1"x1.5" blank. I saw that web page as well Loz. As i cut and dry my own blanks i do have them this size and bigger. :)

I have seen some where the use of a flat spade bit ground down the sides to give a drill with tapered sides for making the inside of candle holders. May be you could do this with a smaller bit all that would need to be done is follow the contour on the outside

Just use a small finger nail spindle gouge for the inside. Americans use CA glue a lot as a finish they use it on pens a lot as well as it gives a hard gloss finish. Can't see anything lasting long on a thimble if it is being used mind. You would also need to be careful you don't use end grain wood either as the needle will dig into the wood too easily. Thimbles are not as simple as they seem. Fairly easy to make if only decorative but not if they are to be used long term.I did some for my wife when I first started turning and the needle used to get stuck in the wood too easily. I reckon you'd need something like lignum or leadwood which would make them pretty expensive.

Pete

Thanks Trevor, i saw that add in CSUSA. The cost was a bit on the heavy side.

I will have a go at what i think is the right size by comparing an old thimble i have of my Gran's. As they are just for show it will not matter to much.

I have just done a bit of an experiment in the hole industry!! I have tried using a round ended router cutter on some box held in my 4 jaw chuck. The cutter worked great at 2000 rpm and as the hole was far too small I just loosened the tail stock clamp pulled the tail stock slightly towards me and enlarged the hole bit by bit to the required size. All you need to do is take small shavings and not go quite as deep each pass. Sanded with 80 grit to start and I now have a nice slightly tapered hole. I have to go out now, but if I get chance on return I will post a couple of photos..

Jonzjob":of778l1t said:
I have just done a bit of an experiment in the hole industry!! I have tried using a round ended router cutter on some box held in my 4 jaw chuck. The cutter worked great at 2000 rpm and as the hole was far too small I just loosened the tail stock clamp pulled the tail stock slightly towards me and enlarged the hole bit by bit to the required size. All you need to do is take small shavings and not go quite as deep each pass. Sanded with 80 grit to start and I now have a nice slightly tapered hole. I have to go out now, but if I get chance on return I will post a couple of photos..

Why not just use a spindle gouge ? or am i missing something ?

You aren't missing anything Loz. It was just an experiment to see if there was anything that would make getting the hole more simple.

I love using the spindle gouge to hollow goblets, vases and the like, as you would see looking at some of my other replies I have put, but I also love trying different things and as it is more problematic getting different tools here the challenge is that much more :D :D :D

Jacobschristningpot.jpg

This was done with a spindle gouge. The wall was about 3/32 thick top to bottom with a square bottom and is a Christening mug for my eldest grandson and is a 2/3rds copy of a Selangore Pewter mug that I was presented with when I had finished 2 1/2 years hard service :eek:ccasion5: with the R.A.F. in Singapore :p It was a second copy as the first was burned along with my sons flat above the pub he was running at the time..

Back