tuning handsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my saw vice mounted on length of 24mm MDF so I can stick it in the vice.

Pete

Eric The Viking":im274j9n said:
Sorry this was a week or two ago, but...

... my new Japanese rip saw is progressive pitch (tighter nearest the handle). I haven't got used to starting the cut that end yet, so I don't know if it helps.

... I've just won this on eBay:
$_1.JPG

I probably paid over the odds, but they're fairly rare this side of the pond. The seller mentions that some backsaws don't fit. Do others have a problem with this?

Still excited, as I've wanted one for ages!

E.

In my experience, that little finger clamp won't hold the thing in place well enough for filing.

I used to mount my Paramo vice on a softwood board, held in the bench vice, but found that mounting it to an oak board worked better.

You do NOT want your filing action to cause vibration - it leads to poor filing and damaged files.

BugBear

I can't stand the noise either! There's a particular screeching caused by a saw plate very slightly loose in the vice...

... seriously, I'll take a good look at how to get it really solid. Many thanks BB - I hadn't realised it damages the files too. Recently got some nice NOS ones on eBay (Öberg) and I want to make them last!

E.

Hadn't come across Paul Seller's slot clamp device. Just made a new saw vice a few weeks ago, and had considered the old wedge version (I have a drawing in a very old mag, will find it and pic if it helps, I think Richard Maguire wrote about one recently). But the PS simple idea is excellent for me as I have a big twin-screw face vice. I would have to sit down, but that won't hurt much :)
The screeching yes - got that off the S&J Spearior recently, the new vice needed a tweak and it's vital they close at top first. A truly nasty sound, far worse than nails on a blackboard.
Got the Tyzack & Turner to do now, need some finer files. I gather Bahco good, new Nicholson bad. Shame as Nicholson used to be very good, now made in Mexico I understand (same place as Stanley 'Sweetheart' planes??). Oh dear, shame.

Hi Douglas,

better files? Until this saw file project gets forward, I'll stick to neddle files. They come in different sizes. And give much better finish than the finest saw files.

http://www.zujeddeloh.de/artikel647.html#a1423

Nadelfeile, dreikant
200mm / Hieb 2

is coarse enough for 10 tpi.

Cheers
Pedder

Thanks Pedder - very good to find a new source. I will order 2 or 3 certainly.
Re the PS 'vice' they are so easy to make I will try one just for backsaws say - worth a go!

condeesteso":132noq33 said:
Re the PS 'vice' they are so easy to make I will try one just for backsaws say - worth a go!
I made a version of this

http://www.closegrain.com/2011/06/build ... -vise.html

Easy/ cheap to make. I made mine with a cut out for the handles as per the traditional vices. :)

carlb40":2tezllri said:
condeesteso":2tezllri said:
I made a version of this

Easy/ cheap to make. I made mine with a cut out for the handles as per the traditional vices. :)

I think I might make one of these too soon, I was going to copy the saw vice that Brit built, but this one seems easier :lol:

DannyEssex":2r8r41nt said:
carlb40":2r8r41nt said:
condeesteso":2r8r41nt said:
I made a version of this

I think I might make one of these too soon, I was going to copy the saw vice that Brit built, but this one seems easier :lol:
It is easy. I will post my WIP for mine later if you want?

The use of leather squares as hinges is really good, I can see how it's a half-hour job using those. I have one like that but still fancy a go at the PS idea - if the outer faces were tapered slightly so it closes at top edges, and maybe delete the point the 2 sides are joined together, then fix them together with leather... ooh, just gone round in a circle :roll:

Latest posts

Back