Tungsten Carbide Drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a decent set of tungsten carbide drill bits to drill metal. Such a big choice to be had from cheap to more expensive. What brand have you used and liked?

HSS will cut very happily. Low speed, cutting fluid and just resharpen when it’s dull. I’m assuming your not trying to drill hardened steel?

And there's always the option of HSS Co (5 or 8% cobalt). Those last longer than HSS in tougher metals like stainless and spot welded steel.
Not answering your question about TC i know but you won't go wrong with SKF/Dormer or Osborn. I always fancied a set of their Goldex drill bits.

I am wanting to buy a decent set of tungsten carbide drill bits to drill metal. Such a big choice to be had

As there seems to be some confusion concerning what you want, please post links to some of the "big choice" you have found. We can then comment on specifics.

I was under the impression that tungsten carbide drills were something they use in coal mining...

If you are drilling a lot of metal then cobalt tipped drills may offer some advantages, however expect to pay a premium over standard HSS ones.
As others have mentioned for most use cases HSS are fine as long as they are sharp and you are using an appropriate drill speed and feed rate and some sort of cutting fluid

I am wanting to buy a decent set of tungsten carbide drill bits to drill metal. Such a big choice to be had from cheap to more expensive. What brand have you used and liked?
Rennie amongst many others sell solid carbide drills.
They are expensive.
If you use them in a hand drill they will snap
They will drill hard things, cap head bolts for instance without difficulty.
If you are using a drill press with clamped down vice or lathe/mill they are magnificent.
Hope this helps

I never now buy anything other than solid carbide for things like milling tools, where everything is very rigidly held. Well worth the extra money. Only drawback in a regular drill bit is that, as cemannion says, they are very hard and so don't take kindly to any wobbling about and will snap. So only really worthwhile in a good press with the work piece well clamped in a vice or using hold downs.
Decent HSS bits used appropriately will handle most things. Better off buying a few good ones from Dormer or similar than a cheap set. Good ones will be properly ground and hardened and will stay sharp a lot longer than the cheapies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back