TS 200 Motor problem Capacitor replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhr

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me with this!

When I switch the saw on I am met with a loud buzz which only stops when I switch off. Axminster have diagnosed this as a capacitor failure. I have bought a new one BUT I can't remove the cover off the unit on the motor. I have removed the left hand panel and lowered the blade. The two screws holding the capacitor cover to the motor will not shift. I cannot get enough leverage on the screwdriver because I am working from the side rather than at the end of the screwdriver. The distance from the screw head and the rear of the machine casing is only about 160mm.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did they solve it? Axminster service department cannot give me any advice apart from getting someone else (probably younger and stronger) to try it for me. It is out of guarantee and I bought it in February 2009. If I ground off the screw heads with a Dremel I would not be able to replace the screws - how important is the cover?

Brian

Need pictures really to fully see the problem but can you get a 1/4" drive ratchet with a screwdriver bit on it? Sounds like you may need to remove the motor.

Strip down of the TS200 is very straight forward, if a little bit of a slow process due to things in hard to get a spanner on places.
Have you tried turning the machine upside down? Makes it a lot easier that way.

I'm a bit of a lazy s_d really. I thought that removing the side panel would avoid the need to turn it upside down. The Axi guy seemed to think this would do. Would rather not take the motor out, in any case I'm not sure how to do this. For the time being , at least, I will try to get some help.

+1 for the proper strip-down approach.

You don't know what you'll find inside, and it's far easier on the bench. I often use a hex-drive screwdriver bit in a socket from my 3/8" set (similar to Pete's suggestion above), but in this case, I'd suggest you're better off with an impact screwdriver, as you probably need to shock the bolt loose.

With crosshead screws/bolts, the big advantage of an impact screwdriver (over just thumping the handle of a socket wrench, wot I also do) is that the impact pushes the driver into the bolt head at the same time as exerting sharp twisting force, so it doesn't tend to slip.

You can improve on this further with a diamond bit, if one will fit. It's a relatively cheap screwdriver upgrade :)

Cheers,

E.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the only way to remove the capacitor cover was to invert the machine with all the work that entailed. The replacement capacitor was too large to fit under the cover so other arrangements had to be made.

It's singing nicely now.

Brian

Back