Truss wires

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeacon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to make some shelves using truss wire bracing. It's going to be a small, free standing set of shelves for a corner. Bicycle spokes would be perfect if they came threaded at both ends - but they don't - they have a bend and a head at one end.

I could flatten the ends of mild steel rods and drill screw holes, like IKEA shelving braces, but I was hoping for something much thinner.

Has anyone come across any kind of slim truss wire system?

Any chandlers will sell a range of stainless steel wires and all the terminations and tensioners you might want. They get used for all sorts of safety gear on decks of boats.
That said, it's probably cheaper on eBay.

Thanks again.

I'd love to find 2.5 mm (ish) diameter rod threaded at each end though.

I suppose I could just counter-bore the underside of the hole in the lower shelf and use a spoke anyway poking the J-bend up through that hole. Then fasten the threaded upper end with the spoke nipple.

MusicMan":3qxg7otn said:
why not get wire and a die set and thread your own?
I do have a die set and it goes down to M3. I might give it a go. The threads on bicylcle wheel spokes aren't cut, though, they're rolled. Greater strength I guess.

jdeacon":2v4eygs6 said:
NazNomad":2v4eygs6 said:
Stainless steel curtain wire (and its fixings) should work.
Thanks.

Is that the kind of wire they're actually hung from? Like the IKEA Dignitet? (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60075295/)

That was exactly the sort of thing I had in mind, yes.

On reflection, the 'chandlers' answer above would probably result in more options re: terminating and adjusting the wires.

jdeacon":cn0z8abs said:
MusicMan":cn0z8abs said:
why not get wire and a die set and thread your own?
I do have a die set and it goes down to M3. I might give it a go. The threads on bicylcle wheel spokes aren't cut, though, they're rolled. Greater strength I guess.

Most commercial threads are rolled, and yes that makes them stronger, but it is done for economy not strength. I'm sure cut threads would be strong enough for your application.
Keith

John, if you're not in a rush, you could look for one of these before you start. :wink:

20131031_123501_zpse1cf3ffd.jpg

(From https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mistery-drilling-device-t75962.html)

Back