Truing a veneer edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilricketts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if anybody here knows of a way that i can true up the edge of some 0.6mm zebrano veneers. I have purchased some veneer and i am looking to make a new computer desk, but my problem is the veneer is not wide enough to veneer the top in one piece. Therefore i need to join mutiple pieces but the edges are not true. I was wondering is there a jig that i can use or make that would allow me to true up the edge of the veneer so that i can butt the edges together.

Any Help or Advice would be appreciated. This is my first project in veneering.

Cheers Neil

Theres a few good picture on here of people making shooting jigs. Basically to long straight pieces of wood, the edges already jointed, trap the veneer bewteen them and run your jointing plane over the edge.

The way I found was easiest was just a straight edge and a bearing guided bit in the router. With the veneer been so thin I found it was easy to break the edge when planing it.

Hi, thanks for that i had thought it would something like that. I will probably go for the bearing guided bit riding along 2 pieces of say mdf clamping the veneer between them. Seeing has this my first project a veneering i wanted to check before i actually attempted it.

cheers neil

One question i forgot to ask. Would Evostik Contact adhesive be ok for gluing the 0.6mm veneer is there a better adhesive available.

Cheers Neil

Just normal wood glue will do. The contact adhesive will probably work. But you want a bit of time to be able to smooth out any bubbles so a slower setting glue is prefered. I use Titebond 3 on everything and it works well.

I recently did my first veneer work, and asked a lot of the same questions here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ash- ... 20%20table

Back