Triton wetstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a triton westone for an old tormek as a replacement stone. I don't have experience with the supergrind stone, just the old natural stone on the 1970s models.

Obviously the triton stone is a lot cheaper than a tormek replacement stone so hence my purchase. I don't quite get why its a 'diamond stone' but also a carborundum stone. Can anyone explain?

After using the triton stone my opinon is:

1) the stone wasn't quite square (had to true it up but wasnt a big deal. a few passes of the tormek truing device)
2) the triton stone grader doesn;t quite work on this stone. I tried to grade it like in the Tormek videos but the triton stone didn;t appear to get much smoother. In fact it seemed to mince the grading stone leaving deep gouges in the grading stone. I dont think the grading stone would last that long on this basis.
3) the old tormek stone is a lot finer than what the triton stone can be graded to. this would make a big difference if you wanted to use the leather wheel straight after the grinding wheel
4) the triton stone was surprisingly fast cutting. i think it performed well in this aspect

Anyone else had this experience?

Back