triton at B&Q last grasp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmoengine

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks just back from a visit to the big red shed at Coatbridge just outside of glasgow.On clearance shelf there are 6 big Triton routers at £99.98 and 5 circular saw's at £112.50 .

items ive not seen before are a Triton random orbit sander at £30.00 ,any body got one or can report on it.

Triton angle grinder did not notice price again anyone know of this unit?

hope this will aid a few bargain hunters in scotland.

Dave W

I'm off to B&Poo later to have a look at something for another job and have seen many posts on this site praising Triton routers.If my local branch have them cheap,should i buy one,what makes them special?Already have 2 makita routers but would this one be worth buying solely as a bench mounter?

skipdiver":3t2pwtpv said:
If my local branch have them cheap,should i buy one,what makes them special? ... would this one be worth buying solely as a bench mounter?
Although I'm now a Triton demonstrator, I bought both Tritons myself, my positive comments from personal experience leading to me being "head-hunted" in October 2006.

The router is designed for use inverted (no upward-facing slots when in a table) and has above-the-table bit-changing with automatic spindle-lock and power switch lock built in. My review of the TRA001 is here if it helps.

Ray.

Bit redundant now as i have been to B&Q and they don't stock them there.Thanks for the info,will read the review and maybe look to buy one at a later date if they are specifically for inverted use.

Thinking about it now,i remember them getting a stonking review in Good Woodworking when they first appeared.

desmoengine":3oqmagyg said:
Ray
have you any knoledge of the ROS or the angle grinder from triton
These are not currently available in the UK. A few were sent over as a trial, but were not followed up, as far as I can tell. The "angle grinder" was actually an attachment for an angle grinder, I think. Certainly not in the current catalogue AFAIK.

Ray.

Strange - i've seen both the ROS and angle grinder (attachment?) for sale in B&Q Stoke. Was wondering what the ROS was like myself. Both products were discounted.

Cheers

Karl

karl":394noftk said:
Strange - i've seen both the ROS and angle grinder (attachment?) for sale in B&Q Stoke.
That's weird, karl. There's a ROS on the Oz site, but I'm not sure if that looks like the one you saw - I doubt it, though. I can't find a "full-blown" angle grinder anywhere, only an attachment for one to turn it into a sander.

Any further description(s) from yourself or desmoengine would assist, but - as I said before - not in the current UK catalogue, so could be a number of years old. Since Triton parted company with B & Q there've been all sorts of discounts, as you know. Perhaps a pre re-launch (of the B & Q image) stocktake has revealed a few old chestnuts?

Ray.

Hi Ray

That ROS does indeed look very similair to the one I saw in B&Q. I am going tomorrow morning, and will have another look. I'll also look at the angle grinder.

Cheers

Karl

Strange - i've seen both the ROS and angle grinder (attachment?) for sale in B&Q
I have seen both today in the clearance section,(Norwich north) the ROS was so cheap almost tempted ...for no good reason other than price ...must learn to say no. Edit the angle grinder was not an attachment

Alan

Yeah these have been around since the just after crimbo the ROS is priced at about £33 and the grinder often around the same money. With what was being said on the Aussie forums I guessed they were GMC rebadges.
Haven't seen any routers for a while but the saws are still for sale £112
Dartford B&Q has 3 of the planer attachments for £50 a go but I heard they were a bit pants so gave em a miss :shock:
haven't bought any orange stuff for months now (mostly I are buying all the rubbish off the bay :oops: )

Regards Tom

Ray
that picture of the ros is the unit ive recently seen, from your comment i take it you have not handled one.
the ros does look like a badged version of previous P Pro unit
the angle grinder i'd seen was a complete unit not an adaptor, it may well be a triton badged unit
dave w

I've got to the bottom of it now, Dave. Apparently, B & Q did a deal with Triton in Oz, probably via the owners, GMC (who make most of the "own-brand" stuff for B & Q), who shipped direct, by-passing the Triton UK warehouse.

The downside of that is that Triton's UK HQ carries no spares, nor does it stock either model, so any support required would have to be directly with B & Q (good luck with that!).

Ray.

Back