Trip to Canada

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Just booked up our trip to canada in June and wondered if anyone has suggestions for unmissable places.

Start in Toronto for 4 nights without transport. The middle bit with the hire car starts in Victoria (3 nights) following the mountain route through Whistler, Jasper, banff, Calgary and back down through kelowna to Vancouver where we dump the car and end with 4 nights in the city. Total 3 and a bit weeks

Hotels are all booked now but any input would be well received

cheers

Bob

~~When in Toronto a nip round to Niagra Falls is a must, I recommend you purchase your barrell in Town rather than renting one at the falls for the dip. No need to worry about droughts there is always plenty of water going over.

Lons":vnb00ipw said:
Just booked up our trip to canada in June and wondered if anyone has suggestions for unmissable places.

Start in Toronto for 4 nights without transport. The middle bit with the hire car starts in Victoria (3 nights) following the mountain route through Whistler, Jasper, banff, Calgary and back down through kelowna to Vancouver where we dump the car and end with 4 nights in the city. Total 3 and a bit weeks

Hotels are all booked now but any input would be well received

cheers

Bob

Great place nice people. The falls of course, Toronto zoo is vast if you have kids its a good day out. You'll need lots of sun protection in June. Try and fit in a thunderstorm, they're spectacular! If you meet a couple called Carol & Gary say hi from me. Did you know it takes 7 hours to fly from one coast to the other?

Niagara is a bit seedy but the falls are spectacular and the ride on the "Mist" boat is well worth it.
You can try Bison in the revolving restaurant at the top of the CNN Tower and jump the queues.
A ferry trip to the Islands is nice and the Art Gallery and Natural History Museum are worth a look.
But the MAIN THING is that there is a Lee Valley Shop in Toronto!! :)

Rod

You must visit the LV shop in Toronto, if you get in touch with Rob you might even get a guided tour.

I did pretty much the same trip as you but from Calgary many years ago, travelling through the Rockies at your own pace is spectacular.

Keep us posted when you get back.

I was there in August

Dont forget at trip to a Lee Valley store (i went to Calgary) for all things Veritas at Canadian dollar prices!!!

Highligts of the trip for me were Bear and Whale watching in Tofino (Vancouver Island) and getting away from the crowds along the Icefields Parkway.

If you like the outdoors you will be blown away

Have a great time

Mark

devonwoody":220fawd3 said:
~~When in Toronto a nip round to Niagra Falls is a must, I recommend you purchase your barrell in Town rather than renting one at the falls for the dip. No need to worry about droughts there is always plenty of water going over.

Yes that's on the list DW and I can't decide whether to book the trip here or when there or even if best to hire a car and just drive. In the past I've found you can sometimes get a better deal off the street. Dunno what you mean about barrell - enlighten please :?

you dont half get about Bob!

Only the last 5 or 5 years Marcros. I was always far too busy with work before that but started to realise that life is far too short and whilst the wish list was getting longer, nothing was being ticked off.
we weren't going to do it this year as my missus retires in 2014 and we're already planning a "biggy" back down under but probably a little bit of south America as well.

I've always wanted to have a little place somewhere like NZ or OZ where I could spend every winter which is theoretically possible if we downsized here but with our first grandchild due 10th March I think my wife would find it difficult to spend so much time away.

Try and fit in a thunderstorm, they're spectacular! If you meet a couple called Carol & Gary say hi from me. Did you know it takes 7 hours to fly from one coast to the other?

Where do I get tickets for a thunderstorm :lol: Flight Toronto to Victoria is quoted 5 hours which doesn't sound so bad even though I know about the time zone difference :) Wonder how many Carol and Garys there are over there. :wink:

Bob

The Bear":3khcu8pd said:
I was there in August

Dont forget at trip to a Lee Valley store (i went to Calgary) for all things Veritas at Canadian dollar prices!!!

Highligts of the trip for me were Bear and Whale watching in Tofino (Vancouver Island) and getting away from the crowds along the Icefields Parkway.

If you like the outdoors you will be blown away

Have a great time

Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I'll definately look up the Lee Valley stores. We can't get to Tofino or any further than Parksville on Vancouver Island unfortunately though were very tempted. I noticed that whale watching trips are available from Victoria though and that appeals to us.

We'll drive the best part of 2000 miles I recon and absolutely love mountains, lakes and forests so the trip is right up our street. Won't be participating in many of the thrills and spills stuff however since our white water rafting in NZ scared the bejeebers out of my missus. :lol: :lol:

Bob

Harbo":14ir7j98 said:
Niagara is a bit seedy but the falls are spectacular and the ride on the "Mist" boat is well worth it.
You can try Bison in the revolving restaurant at the top of the CNN Tower and jump the queues.
A ferry trip to the Islands is nice and the Art Gallery and Natural History Museum are worth a look.
But the MAIN THING is that there is a Lee Valley Shop in Toronto!! :) Rod

Thanks Rod.
How do you jump the queues?

You must visit the LV shop in Toronto, if you get in touch with Rob you might even get a guided tour.
Hi Waka.
Is the shop in the centre as we (probably) won't have a car in Toronto?

If I recall it's not too far from the centre, I've added the address below.

590 King St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1M3, Canada
Phone:+1 416-366-5959.

I'm sure if you give the store a call, tell them you're from the UK, they'll give you all the directions. You'll need to take an extra suitcase with you. There prices are unbelievably low compared to over here.
Also if you're going Calgary way there's another store there.

We went Whale watching from Vancouver, all suited up in rubber, the boat was a big rib which allows you to get real close to the Killer and Minke Whales, if nothing else this is a must.

We lived in Newfoundland for a couple of years back in the 90's and were very lucky to be able to explore the country, wonderful place. If you like glaciers then take a walk on the Athabasca glacier in the Jaspar National Park.
Like others have said Niagara is very tacky, but the falls are spectacular. You can even pop across the bridge to the USA if it takes your fancy.

Toronto is very walkable though there are Trams and a Metro service.
I don't think they go down King Street but not it's far from the city centre. I walked it frequently from the Hospital District. :)

The entry charge to the Tower is not much cheaper than having meal in the Restaurant. So the trick is to use the free Express lift to the Restaurant, so avoiding the queues, have a nice meal and enjoy the views?

Rod

Lons":3qnh6ct3 said:
devonwoody":3qnh6ct3 said:
~~ Dunno what you mean about barrell - enlighten please :?
It started in with a boat carrying live animals being sent over the falls in 1827 as a publicity stunt.

Blondin & others later walked over them on a tightrope.

Carlisle Graham was the first to go over them in a barrel (1886) followed by others including the first woman, Annie Taylor, in 1901.

It is now illegal.

- http://www.niagarafrontier.com/devil_frame.html

Waka, Rod, Robbo

Thanks guys, info much appreciated. I've started writing a list.

Lon, some like to go over the falls in a barrell!

What are you advising me to do DW? - chuck myself over a huge waterfall and drown :lol: and why? :?

cheers

Bob

The CN tower is a must, (already mentioned by someone) They have 'sniffers' that you pass through on the way in that detect explosives. It's an arch affair that you pass through which blows air at you then sucks it back in. There's also a glass floor at the top of the tower that you can walk on. See if you can get in to see a baseball game at the Toronto Maple leafs. The stadium is right next to the tower.
Toronto is on the shore of Lake Ontario. The lakes are tidal and look like a sea, hard to imagine that they are lakes. Edit. Just looked it up, it's a tiny bit smaller than Wales.

Stadium with the roof shut viewed from the tower:
0064_zpsff5d286c.jpg

The tower:
0001_zps7fe40674.jpg

Whatever you do don't go to Edmonton, for entertainment we used to make a noose with some string, put it round a Prairei Dog's hole, when the thing popped it's head up, pull tight and you had a pet you could keep on a lead for a while, when you got fed up with that one, let it go and catch a new one.

The things you do for excitement.

Andy

Edmonton seconded. "Jasper" - one of the main streets - was 25 miles long when I was last there. You should not miss out either Mount Edith Cavell or the Buchart Gardens, in Jasper and Victoria respectively. Ice fields are good, but Sulphur Mountain above Banff, with its views of Kicking Horse Pass is better. Lake Louise and a dugout canoe are hard to beat.

Sam

Latest posts

Back