Trespa for mitre guides?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlb40

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how hard wearing trespa is? I have some off cuts from a job a few years ago and i am considering using some to make a new bar for my mitre guide on the axi TS200.
So will it wear better than aluminium? Also will it hold a thread ok if tapped? :)

Hi

Looks to be of similar construction to Paxolin so I'd guess it would be suitable - I might consider using threaded inserts dependant on how much use the threads are expected to cope with.

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=2250004326

Edited to say thanks to Benchwayze - was racking my brain to try and come up with Tufnol, the generic name for srbp :roll:

Regards Mick

If it's anything like tufnol, then it should be fine for the job.
So try it out Carl. What have you to lose? :wink:

Even if it does wear, you can soon replace at no cost, if you have other bits lying about.

HTH

:D

Spindle":1xp9tlpw said:
Hi

Looks to be of similar construction to Paxolin so I'd guess it would be suitable - I might consider using threaded inserts dependant on how much use the threads are expected to cope with.

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=2250004326

Edited to say thanks to Benchwayze - was racking my brain to try and come up with Tufnol, the generic name for srbp :roll:

Regards Mick
Cheers Mick.

As to the threads it will be one m8 thread for the locking handle. On the current bar the bolt is fixed into the bar, the handle itself turns to lock/unlock. So it would be the same on my version. So once screwed in, it stays put. :)

Benchwayze":2l0fzpe3 said:
If it's anything like tufnol, then it should be fine for the job.
So try it out Carl. What have you to lose? :wink:

Even if it does wear, you can soon replace at no cost, if you have other bits lying about.

HTH

:D
Thank's John.
I will try it out soon, i need to get a drill and tap first. As long as the first bar lasts a year at the most it will be ok. Hoping to get a bandsaw to replace the TS200 :)

Hi

This material will be soft enough to thread with mild steel - you could just grind a couple of grooves along an M8 bolt and use that to form the thread.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back