Trend or Powercap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am thinking of getting one of these all in one powered filter helmets and was going to go for the Trend but reading articles some users say it feels too heavy after an hours use and highly recommend the JSP Powercap. What do others use and/or recommend please?.
Cheers
Steve

I have the powercap and it is very good and light! I am sure the others will be around to advise you, but I think there was an issue with a new trend cap coming out? and if this is the earlier one they thought there may a problem with parts before too long? plus, as you say it much heavier, and if you are in the shop for a long time I should think it gets a bit uncomfortable.

I have the Trend Airshield Respirator, not the new one, and I think it is wonderful. I never cut any wood without wearing it.

I always leave it on for a while after turning the power tool off because the dust is still in the air for quite a while afterwards. I've sometimes forgotten that it's there, it certainly doesn't feel too heavy to me, but if there was a lighter version it might be worth considering.

regards

Brian

I think any decent air fed respirator is a good thing, but my personal preference would be for the Powercap. Which is already on my to buy list, after using one for an hour as a trial.

Just checked out this site which compares the Powercap against the new Trend Airshield Pro.

The Powercap has a few things going for it not least the very low weight 300g compared to the Trend 995g. It has a belt mounted battery that obviously helps reduce the weight but I'm not sure if this might get in the way when using it.

The Powercap also has a battery pack that you can buy that takes ordinary dry cells which might be useful on occasion. cheaper too £157 compared to £199.

regards

Brian

I have the old airshield - and I think it's very very good. I can't compare it to the power cap (never used it) but I can say I don't have any problem with the weight and agree with Brian, after use I often forget I'm wearing it.

Regards

Dave

I have the old Trend and do find it heavy after a while,and i keep hitting the top front of it when bending over to pick things up.
The new one does look a better design,but is heavier.
I might go for the Powercap next time.Unless something better comes out in the mean time :D

brianhabby":1qine3nc said:
Just checked out this site which compares the Powercap against the new Trend Airshield Pro.
Looking at that site Brian its not clear how/if the face is sealed from the dust??. It obviously must do but looks impressive.
Steve

I've wondered about that too.

In fact I don't think your face is completely sealed from the outside world but because there is an airflow from the top of the device then it doesn't matter, nothing is going to go up from the front bottom while the air is running - is it?

I don't know if I've explained that very well :?

regards

Brian

Brian is correct, all the powered dust masks are open to a certain extent, and all rely on internal positive pressure from the pump so no dust can get in.

Usually the stream of air blows down the front of your face, and as I wear specs. all the time it will stop them fogging up. Which is the problem I have always suffered with any non-powered dust mask I have tried.

I have the JSP powercap and have no problems with it at all I havent tried the trend full power mask,but have the half one but the JSP is the one for me. Regards Boysie

brianhabby":1ro3uqrr said:
......but because there is an airflow from the top of the device then it doesn't matter, nothing is going to go up from the front bottom while the air is running - is it?
Brian

Well there is a definite caveat to that Brian, it's dependant on the dust risk and the maintainance of Adequate positive pressure.

If you note the two masks under discussion have differing ratings, TH1 and TH2.

Chas":3ne03e87 said:
TH1 and TH2
Please explain, I haven't bought my mask yet, so would like to know as much as possible about them.

Not at base at the moment Tam to pass on the links I have but will do asap. Best thing in the mean time is to look up the british spec quoted on the masks.

Chas,

Definitely don't understand the difference between TH1 & TH2, but take your point about needing to maintain an adequate positive pressure. When I first bought my Trend, I remember the instructions talking about air flow and there was a little vial with a small ball in it IIRC.

You had to make sure the ball was reaching a certain position I think. I must admit I've never looked at that part of it since because it always seems to just work so well, I might have a look next time I'm in the workshop.

regards

Brian

Brian, TH2 is an order of magnitude better than TH1 for particle ingress I think you will find, more suited to MDF, and mandatory for servicing dust extraction systems etc.

Remember the specification relates to the whole hood not just the filter.

Back